Ford Forums banner

EA/EB Aircon

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  lukeyn039 
#1 ·
Hello there...

I have been checking out these forums, and as I am looking to purchase an EA/EB Falcon in the near future I thought I would register.

I owned an 87 XF S-PAC MPI Falcon some years ago. More recently I have owned a Holden Apollo (Tolden Camollo?), which was a great little car, but recently had an argument with an AU (I think) Falcon...both were written off.

Anyhow, I have been digesting some of the technical discussions with great fervour. There is so much information on these Falcons, it reinforces my desire to own one again. I do a lot of mechanical work myself and I feel that parts are readily available and cheap, and obviously the information is out there.

One thing I am uncertain about though. When did Ford start putting the new Aircon (non-CFC) systems in Falcons, and how much does it cost to convert? I test drove an EB (series 1) the other day, and it seemed to me that the aircon lacked a little punch (compared to my memory of Falcon aircons). I'd like to budget in the cost of upgrading if required. My partner drives a Hyundai S-coupe, and she has been quoted in excess of $1000 for an upgrade (basically an entirely new system).

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
The R143a (CFC-free) refrigerant was introduced in late '93 with the ED series. Many older models will have been converted. I paid $160 all up (but some guy quoted me $800!) plus needed a new TX valve which cost extra. Note that it is generally accepted that the older R12 gas gives more powerful air conditioning, but I understand it is technically illegal to regas such a set up.

Hope this helps.

#8 ·
R12 ok but R134a is .........

R12 is does get colder due to the fact that R12 runs at lower pressures then R 134A on the high side.With the right setup,R134a will run just as good.I got my system down to 2.5 degrees at the centre vents.

Most cheaper re-gas deals are blend gas's which aren't to bad but are prown to clogging up and not mixing well with the oil.They come in handy if the system has to be upgraded(moneys spent) to cop with R134a like if they condensor is too small and no electric A/C fan is fitted to reduce the high temps that R143a produces.

If I were you I'd try and get R134A in your system as nearly everywell known A/C workshop or dealership will have R134a on hand.Most run a tracer die to allow easy findment of leaks.The system has to have a small leak for it to be re-gases and may take a week or months to appear.All falcons cop very well with a retro fit to R134a.

Cya Lukey.

QLD REP 4 EA-ED club.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.