EA/EB Aircon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2002, 17:11   #1 (permalink)

EA/EB Aircon

Hello there...

I have been checking out these forums, and as I am looking to purchase an EA/EB Falcon in the near future I thought I would register.

I owned an 87 XF S-PAC MPI Falcon some years ago. More recently I have owned a Holden Apollo (Tolden Camollo?), which was a great little car, but recently had an argument with an AU (I think) Falcon...both were written off.

Anyhow, I have been digesting some of the technical discussions with great fervour. There is so much information on these Falcons, it reinforces my desire to own one again. I do a lot of mechanical work myself and I feel that parts are readily available and cheap, and obviously the information is out there.

One thing I am uncertain about though. When did Ford start putting the new Aircon (non-CFC) systems in Falcons, and how much does it cost to convert? I test drove an EB (series 1) the other day, and it seemed to me that the aircon lacked a little punch (compared to my memory of Falcon aircons). I'd like to budget in the cost of upgrading if required. My partner drives a Hyundai S-coupe, and she has been quoted in excess of $1000 for an upgrade (basically an entirely new system).

Cheers
damienpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2002, 23:04   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

The R143a (CFC-free) refrigerant was introduced in late '93 with the ED series. Many older models will have been converted. I paid $160 all up (but some guy quoted me $800!) plus needed a new TX valve which cost extra. Note that it is generally accepted that the older R12 gas gives more powerful air conditioning, but I understand it is technically illegal to regas such a set up.

Hope this helps.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 15:53   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Jack, I thought that might be the case. Obviously shopping around is a good idea.

Nice site by the way (eafalcon.com) - took me a little while to find it, but the info is great.

Damien
Old 10-09-2002, 07:00   #4 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

Ah the ultimate irony, ive had my aircond regassed with R12, you just need to know the right people haha
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 07:07   #5 (permalink)

Yes...that was done with my previous car. I understand that some operators even remove gas from systems in cars at wreckers...urban myth?
Old 11-18-2002, 02:48   #6 (permalink)
Ford, for the real driver

Nope not urban myth, I used to work at a tractor dealer and we worked on old tractors and harvesters, as it was a hot area inland WA we needed to get aircon working, a lot of times we would recover gas out of old machines to use on these repairs
Hidden_Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 03:29   #7 (permalink)

U can just use LPG to refill the old system. But yes its illegal!
PHoeNiX_EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 03:47   #8 (permalink)
Qld Rep 4 E Series Club.

Wink R12 ok but R134a is .........

R12 is does get colder due to the fact that R12 runs at lower pressures then R 134A on the high side.With the right setup,R134a will run just as good.I got my system down to 2.5 degrees at the centre vents.

Most cheaper re-gas deals are blend gas's which aren't to bad but are prown to clogging up and not mixing well with the oil.They come in handy if the system has to be upgraded(moneys spent) to cop with R134a like if they condensor is too small and no electric A/C fan is fitted to reduce the high temps that R143a produces.

If I were you I'd try and get R134A in your system as nearly everywell known A/C workshop or dealership will have R134a on hand.Most run a tracer die to allow easy findment of leaks.The system has to have a small leak for it to be re-gases and may take a week or months to appear.All falcons cop very well with a retro fit to R134a.

Cya Lukey.

QLD REP 4 EA-ED club.
lukeyn039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech