Ford Forums banner

the EA failed, and I had to wait in the rain!

943 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rallyboy77 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

After a year of smooth driving, the EA has failed me. First time I called a tow truck as well :)

The scenario, I was driving along as normal when the engine cut out completely for a second or so. Then at the corner it stalled. Took a while to get started, and I managed to limp to the side of the road.... an hour later the nrma dude turned up and got her going (simply started and then he revved the crap out of it for a while), only to stop another 3kms down the road.... anyways the car is sitting at home waiting to be fixed.

Seems the ignition is playing up, the nrma guy said the ign module is probably stuffed and sometimes works ok when it is cold...? does that make sense?

jezza

#2 ·
usually it is only the ignition module if you are driving along and suddenly the engine stops with no jerkyness as if it runs out of fuel... hot and cold has nothing to do with it.. there is no warning when it will work or not... if the car just stopped as above then thats definatly your problem.. around $190 including parts to be fixed by a mechanic.

#3 ·
Same thing happened to me.. and i still get the occasional hiccup now and then with a replacement dizzy.

If you have a tacho, watch the needle, if it drops to zero then its the hall effect sensor.

Cheapest thing.. get a whole dizzy from the wreckers, shouldn't be anymore than $65 and whack her in.

#4 ·
Or, pull off one of the leads and stick a spark plug in the end. Earth the plug body, then turn the motor over while watching for spark.
It could also be the coil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.