EA fairmont Ghia Fuel usage - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2004, 15:18   #1 (permalink)

EA fairmont Ghia Fuel usage

Hi im new to the forums i just recently purchased an 89 EA fairmont ghia sedan. it has done 213 000 k's on it and i was wandering what the fuel usage is suppose to be for this car. I have read on some sites that the usage is suppose to be like 12.5L/100km i checked on the trip computer and it is saying that its using 17.2L/100km is that normal? and how trustworthy are the trip computers on these cars?
EAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2004, 15:35   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: EA fairmont Ghia Fuel usage

Very good, quite accurate, and consumption is a little above average for the age of your car, I run around 15/16 around town, on the highway I can get around 8/9.

I have used my trip down to about 2 litres, and then I removed and cleaned the tank out, I can tell you, that is all that was in there, give or take a little bit.

My car has about 250,000 on the clock.

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 16:42   #3 (permalink)

Ok thanks could it be my exhaust because its got a few holes in it goin back from the cat. i havent had the money saved to change it totally with a 2.5inch but hopefully i can get it done and also what are some prices that you would pay for a full 2.5inch system from cat back including straight through mufflers
Old 03-03-2004, 16:50   #4 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

I have a 2.25 inch exhaust right through, standard exhaust manifold, no holes.

Holes will make it run rough usually, can cause an increase in fuel consumption.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:48   #5 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

What gearbox is it, bet it's a 3-speed :)
They'll always chew the fuel.

My manual EB gets about 9 or 10 L/100km cruising, which is what it does most often (country car) or about 12 in the city.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 23:45   #6 (permalink)

Yeah its a 3 speed extremely slow on take off. I cant complain only got the car for 1600 with 4 months rego. just has a exhaust thats bout to go apart from that everything else is fine besides the odd rust areas here and there. i definately need to get it lowerered the suspension on the rear is really high looks damn ridiculous.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:46   #7 (permalink)
Village Idiot

I got bit below 15l/100 in my old one.
It was using 16+ but it had a ****ed radiator, and blew a head not long after.

If it runs a but hot, flush out the radiator, and/or change thermostat if temp keeps wandering. U will probably ge it down a bit as the fans wont be going as hard, and it will be in a better running temp

2.5' cat backs start at $230 and go to 350. Anymore than that and they are not really worth it imo.
U will probably drive it differently to make it sound good, basically loosing any fuel gains :/
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 02:58   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I get 13.1L/100 out of an EB II Fairmont auto, 223000, so with a 3 speed I spose you're doing alright.

Highways I get 9-10.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:20   #9 (permalink)
2.77 is a tall ratio :S

I manage around 9-10 freeway with my 3 speed but for surburban driving I get around 15-16, might aswell be running an 8 (with a 4 speed that is )

1989 EA Fairmont Ghia 3 speed -cd player, xh snorkle, king springs, KYB shocks, tranny cooler, thermo fans, ef radiator

ATPS Member
smut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 02:05   #10 (permalink)

ok another follow up to this thread i got the exhaust fixed i got a 2 and a half inch lukey sports system cat back put in, fuel consumption havent goten less and i think its goten more its doing bout 18.3L/100km its always driving it locally so probably speed is always below 60, and lots of stops and starts and i do tend to have a heavy foot...but still doesnt justify the 18.3L/100km this petrol guzzling is killing me previous car was a 88 model corolla that thing barely even sipps the petrol. now its costing me like 50 every fortnight.

i do get some petrol fumes coming outa the engine bay after i pulled into my garage and turned the ignition off...could it be leaking petrol? i didnt notice and leaks? maybe the injectors needs a clean or maybe new ones? i noticed one of the injectors has a bit of a leak the second injector from the front.

oh yeah and i do have a bit of oil seeping through the rocker cover and oil seeping through gasket head...the oild through the rocker cover im not worried bout..but the oil coming outa the gasket head sounds bad...could the head gasket be on its way out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech