EA Fairmont Giha problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2002, 04:25   #1 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

EA Fairmont Giha problems

My mates 89 MPFI Fairmont Giha has an electrical problem. We took it for a drive the last weekend and the first thing I noticed was the dash lights fading, then all of the lights went dull. When we pulled over in the car park she died. The battery was flat as I could hear the solenoid on the starter motor clicking. A guy jump started us and we managed to get it back home. We out a charged battery in and the same thing happend all over again.

The first thing I thought was the alternator. I checked the brushes and they were good. Everything seemed to be allright with it. My mate then told me that he had put the negative on the positive and vise verser when jumpstarting it (yes he's a dumbarse). I thought he might of blown a fuse. Checked the fusebox and all the fuses were ok.

What would probably happen if someone did this? I am obviously presuming that what he did is the reaosn for why the car is the way it is now. What else should I look for? I am hoping he hasnt stuffed the computer up becasue I know he'd be up for big bucks.

Help me help a mates very sick EA. Thanks in advance.
Cobra.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2002, 05:52   #2 (permalink)

I'd suspect the fusible links would of blown.

When you say it has an electrical problem, is it just a constant flat battery? Or is the car dead and got absolutely nothing?? If it is dead, then check the fusible links... failing that, there will be(worst case scenario) some serious damage to the electrical system.

But if it is just the constant dead battery, put a multimeter to the battery when idling, and see what the voltage is. anything from 13-14 V is good. Anything outside this will cause damage to the battery.

If you cant get a multimeter, then check the volts gauge in the car. I assume it would have it, being a ghia. Should be higher than 12V, but lower than 16V.

If it is low, then check the belt tension on the alternator.

Hope this helps in someway.

Matt
Old 11-19-2002, 08:11   #3 (permalink)

The Ghia only has a tacho, fuel and temp. The speedo is digital so that pissed executives could still see it after lunch. Good luck to your mate, Cobra.
Kevs EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 03:30   #4 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Quote:
Originally posted by Futura97
I'd suspect the fusible links would of blown.

When you say it has an electrical problem, is it just a constant flat battery? Or is the car dead and got absolutely nothing?? If it is dead, then check the fusible links... failing that, there will be(worst case scenario) some serious damage to the electrical system.

But if it is just the constant dead battery, put a multimeter to the battery when idling, and see what the voltage is. anything from 13-14 V is good. Anything outside this will cause damage to the battery.

If you cant get a multimeter, then check the volts gauge in the car. I assume it would have it, being a ghia. Should be higher than 12V, but lower than 16V.

If it is low, then check the belt tension on the alternator.

Hope this helps in someway.

Matt
Yeah it's constant flat batteries. That's why I orignally thought it was the alternator. I pulled the alternator out and my mate took it to an Auto-electrican and he said the alternator was fine.

The fusible link, you mean check the big red 20 amp fuse?
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 03:36   #5 (permalink)
Ford, for the real driver

Hmm alternator fine, Id be checking the diode pack in the regulator
Hidden_Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 03:38   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I've been told that putting jump leads the wrong way on a battery can blow the diodes in the alternator. You might want to get a mechanic to check out the alternator. They don't charge anything to look at it.

Good luck with it.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 07:34   #7 (permalink)

Fusible links are right next to the battery. They look like a longish piece of wire, but will just disentegrate when too much current goes through it to protect the computer. But if you have power, then these should be fine.

As I said before, try to get hold of a multimeter. That way you can check the output of the alternator and see if its ok or not. I've heard you should check it with all your lights on, demister on radio on, aircon on etc, to simulate a heavy load. If its up to the task, it should be about 13-13.8V If its low at the battery, then check at the alternator. Some times wires break down, and need replacing.

If you don't have a multimeter, then you can get cheap ones from dicksmith/jaycars. And they do come in handy when doing any electrical work on cars.

Another thing is to see if there is any drain coming from the battery when everything is off. This will be a possible cause of the flat batteries....

And another thing is to check and make sure that both the battery terminals are nice and tight. Mine use to be loose on my XF and i use to have flat batteries. I didn't relise loose terminals would do this, but it does....

Hope this helps you out a bit again....
Old 11-20-2002, 15:38   #8 (permalink)
EB wagon

I agree with Hidden_Soul.... check yer regulator unit on yer alternator. That same thing happened to me about a month ago... was driving along, dash display started going dimm then she stopped altogether... called out the RACQ and he told me that althought the alternator was pushing out a voltage, this wasnt getting to the battery coz the regulator was stuffed. Wacked a second alternator in and every thing has been fine.
Another thing to note is that if yer testing yer alternator, make sure yer batt is charged, if its not, d/c it. You will get a low charge reading (12-13V) from the alternator if yer battery is discharged. Revv the engine and see if the voltage increases.
With a charged batt, u should get somewhere between 13-14V.

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech