Ford Forums banner

EA Falc help...again..

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  EA S 
#1 ·
Thanks for all ya replies to my post first, now im wondering. The oil pressure guage, soon as i start the engine, shoots to the very top (well, maximum reading, yas know what I mean) the oil pressure we're pretty sure is normal, but something is buggered with the guage or something, what would probably be wrong? and how would I fix it?

Also when I lift the oil cap, there is a bit of condensation - a few drops of water in the lid, so I think there might be a water leak or something, would this be any cause of concern?

Thanks again for all ya help

Cheers

#3 ·
Mate - for all I know it could be toasted. Ill pull the rocker cover off 2morrow and check - I might order that updated gasket that stops oil leaks from the cover and see if theres any more condensation. What about the oil pressure guage though, any idea's mate?

Cheers

#5 ·
Yes when the oil pressure guage is faulty it will do what its doing. Have a fiddle with the connection on the sender unit, its a grey and circular shape on the side of the block near the distributer(from memory) When I changed the leads on my old EA I noticed the Guage did the same as yours, had a fiddle with the connection and it was back to normal(I must have knocked the sender unit when removing them).

As for the condensation, its doesnt neccessarily mean the headgasket is rooted, if a car does short trips alot then it can have condesation in the cap.
But if its loosing coolant and theres no obvious leaks then its more than likely the headgasket. (and $20 says its at the number 1 cylinder).

#6 ·
Martin said:
Yes when the oil pressure guage is faulty it will do what its doing. Have a fiddle with the connection on the sender unit, its a grey and circular shape on the side of the block near the distributer(from memory) When I changed the leads on my old EA I noticed the Guage did the same as yours, had a fiddle with the connection and it was back to normal.

As for the condensation, its doesnt neccessarily mean the headgasket is rooted, if a car does short trips alot then it can have condesation in the cap.
But if its loosing coolant and theres no obvious leaks then its more than likely the headgasket. (and $20 says its at the number 1 cylinder).
If it does work out to be the headgasket, i agree that i will be number one thats gone. If you have to get it done make sure they dont put the cork gasket at the front around the timing case. We've worked out that thats one of the causes for it.

#8 ·
mate, r u sure that the 4.0L head will fit on a 3.9??? I think that there is something different about the head?>!>!>?@?>?#>!

maybe someone else might know.

#11 ·
TTStang,

Hope all goes well for you.

It wasnt all that long ago, my "water leak" turned into a $4000 engine rebuild (ok... so mine is a v8, and I upgraded some bits while the whole thing was apart)

:dead: :crazy1:

#12 ·
botch said:
mate, r u sure that the 4.0L head will fit on a 3.9??? I think that there is something different about the head?>!>!>?@?>?#>!

maybe someone else might know.
They fit, as has already been said. I think the main visual difference is that the 3.9 has these little wing thingies in the chamber to do something to the intake flow and the 4.0 doesn't. I've heard that 3.9 heads are pretty scarce because most of them are thoroughly stuffed by now from corrosion and warps and skims etc and everybody is moving to 4.0.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.