EA Falcon help! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2001, 03:23   #1 (permalink)
Vintage Mustang Member

EA Falcon help!

Hey guys,

Just picked up an 88 MPFI EA Spac with 5 speeder, and wanna know what can be done to get her up and boogying? Is there much differance between the 3.9, and lets say, the 4L in the EB series II? Soon ill have it rechipped, 2 1/2 sports straight through (and extractors) and cold air induction, what else should I do?

Help would be sweet!

Thanks peeps
TTStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2001, 03:26   #2 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Thread moved..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 04:03   #3 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

What you're planning is a good start. You might also consider a new cam, and possibly a diff with 3.45 gears. Engine swaps to 4L are expensive and messy, you'd be better off going to 5L or getting an EB onwards instead.
Old 11-04-2001, 04:06   #4 (permalink)

First thing is to check the accelerator cable and make sure it isnt stretched. I knew an EA that improved by 2secs from 0-100kmh with just a new cable!

Dont worry about 'chipping' it unless your doing some headwork and adding a cam. And the only chip to get would be one thats tuned real-time on the dyno. Any kind of plug-in chip will do zip and can even make things worse.

Definately headers and 2.5in exhaust, and change the diff ratio to XR6 spec(3.45:1)
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 04:35   #5 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Hi,

Yeah - the first thing to do would be to get the extractors and exhaust.

Oh - and about the accelerator cable.... having the correct one also helps.

I had a '89 EA S pack. My accelerator cable snapped once, so I went to Brad Garlic ford to get a new one put in. 2 HOURS later they give me my car back (this is all in my lunch break) and the car felt 'sluggish' to me. I got a mechanic friend of mine to have a look and he said that they had put the wrong accelerator cable in. (I think they put an EB cable in - which is a tiny bit longer)

I went straight back to brad garlic the next day and told them they put the wrong one in.... funny it only took them 20 mins to do it when they werent getting paid for it.
Old 11-04-2001, 15:29   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Hmmmm accelerator cable aye, do all falcon ones stretch???? If it improves my 0-100km/h times by 2 secs i'm gettin a new one. :s6: :s6:

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 17:09   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY
Hmmmm accelerator cable aye, do all falcon ones stretch???? If it improves my 0-100km/h times by 2 secs i'm gettin a new one. :s6: :s6:
It would be worth a look. Just check to see if the throttle linkage on the intake opens all the way when your foot is flat to the floor.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 03:24   #8 (permalink)
Chromed Member

you mean to say that there is another position for the accelerator than "FLAT TO THE FLOOR????":s3
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 19:11   #9 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin

It would be worth a look. Just check to see if the throttle linkage on the intake opens all the way when your foot is flat to the floor.
I'll have to check if it does, seems when i pull the throttle cable at the throttle body it seems abit loose. Just wondering can the trottle cable be adjusted????

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech