EA overheating problems - solved - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2002, 21:44   #1 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

EA overheating problems - solved

A while back I was having the dreade cycling temp gauge problem with an EA Falcon, didn't matter what I did to it (thanks to AussieBlue for all his suggestions), I still had it, I even had the cooling system pressure tested.
Well finally the head gasket blew, this motor is only 75,000k's old and it turns out the bastards who rebuilt the thing never faced the block and it was pitted near pot #6 causing water to collect and slowly eat away the steel in the gasket, finally getting big enough to fail completely.
I can only assume that the leak occured when cold and sealed up enough when the engine reached a certain temp until the gasket finally let go big time.

Anyway, caught it in time, no warped or cracked head, had the pits filled and a new head gasket, $415 all up, no more cycling temp gauge and mystery leaks in the piping.

So for anyone who has the cycling temp gauge problem, it could point to a slight head gasket leak when cold.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2002, 01:26   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Good to hear it's finally solved. Hope it doesn't take that long to sort my NB.
Old 01-22-2002, 17:03   #3 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussiblue
Good to hear it's finally solved. Hope it doesn't take that long to sort my NB.
Thanks Aussie, worst thing was, I was about to get rid of it!!

Out of interest, how do you find your NB, a mate of mine is looking at NA's, we have seen a few for around the $3,000 mark, which is a lot of car for the money, I know all the problems with EA's, but was looking for info on the reliability of the extra goodies like Climate Control/power windows etc?

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech