EA running like a Dog - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2002, 19:28   #1 (permalink)

EA running like a Dog

I have a 89 EA Wagon with a 3.9CFI with a 3spd box. I have been nursing it along, because in the next year I will be swapping it over for a 4.0, since it has low compression and a rear main going out.

The current problem is, that when you hit it hard it falters and then blows a puff of black smoke and takes off. But on a few ocaasions it has hesitated, bakefires and died. No a good thing to be happening when the wife is driving with the 3 kiddies are in it. It idles as pretty as you please.

I have changed the leads, plugs, dizzy cap and rotor, followed by the thermostat(170 degree). Removed the injectors and had them cleaned. Changed the coolant temperature sensor and idle control motor. Changed the MAP sensor and fuel filter and fuel pump. The air filter is clean, and the exhaust is not blocked.

Any suggestions, I have had to a few mechanics and it keeps coming back unchanged after a short time. I am tired of spending money on it since I will be yanking it out soon.

Thanks
89EAwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2002, 01:27   #2 (permalink)

Got a fix

Somehow the timing was way off, making everything go completely AWOL.

So to anyone out there with the same symptoms, check the timing.
89EAwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:31   #3 (permalink)

Check your dizzy. I had similiar symptoms and found it was slop in all directions in the dizzy was the cause. A new unit was like a new engine. KEV.
Kevs EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech