EA Series 2 DOORS - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2002, 22:20   #1 (permalink)
AUII S

EA Series 2 DOORS

What kind of 4inch speakers have people put in the doors??
Was there any probs?
vbman187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2002, 23:18   #2 (permalink)

i just swapped them straight over with some $40 ones- very easy.
makes a bit of a difference- but not enough IMO.
is it hard to put 6inch in the doors, and no i dont want to get new skins! has ne1 had ne expeirience with splits. r they worth it?
joelburden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 23:21   #3 (permalink)

I put 4" splits in the front when I had an EA and it was a huge improvement.

Ford Focus: The car that flies :s6:
Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 23:22   #4 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

I've got a set of 6.5" speakers in the original 4" hole, and another set of 6.5" at the bottom of the door in door pods.

To get anything above a 5.25 in requires a little bit of cutting work, and make sure the speaker will clear the window.

I'd suggest you move away from the 4" speaker size as there potential is nothing compared to that of the bigger speakers.
Old 10-10-2002, 23:34   #5 (permalink)

so u just cut into the inner metal door skin? with what? do the 4inch holes muffle the sound? thanks for ur quick reply
joelburden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 06:50   #6 (permalink)

I chucked some Infinity 4" speakers in. No real problem putting them in, although they are very tight against the door trim. The sound quality isn't improved all that much, but since I'm running them of a Pioneer H/U and not an amplifier it's not all that suprising.

Your best bet (however a little more expensive) is to go to your local car audio store (or autobarn or whatever) and ask them to give you a quote on a set of pods for your front doors. If your really into sound quality you shouldn't even consider going any smaller than 6" speakers for your front staging.

My local Autobarn (SUNBURY) quoted me for around $100-120 for a set of 6" front door pods (fitted with speakers installed). From what I can remember he said that I could also choose what I wanted them to be covered with (carpet, vinyl, paint etc..). Most audio shops have a show car that they use at shows etc, have a look at that to have an idea of the kind of workmanship the people at the store are capable of. The sunbury autobarn used to have a yellow integra, now they've got a Sub Impreza. Very nice.

So yeah, If you've got around $100-150 to play with I'd suggest you go with pods that can accomodate 6" speakers. You can always make them yourself but I don't have the skills so I need someone to make them for me.

Dave
antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 02:54   #7 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

I used to run 4" splits in the doors, and now I run 6.5" splits. In my opinion THERE IS NO COMPARISON!!! The 4" are nothing compared to the 6.5"!

All I did to fit them was to cut the holes out using a jigsaw (with a steel cutting blade) - it was VERY easy. I listened to them with and without the door skins, and there was very little audible difference, so I don't think the 4" holes muffle the sound...

Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 06:08   #8 (permalink)
Why me?

what about the later model doors with the factory 6.5 inch holes?
My mates NC ghia with premium sound has these large speaker holes in the doors already. We swapped the standard crappy speakers for a set of splits, put in a new sub (the factory one destroyed it's surround) and were amazed at the improvement.
As thanatos mentioned, the 4 inch grilles don't seem to affect the sound. It puzzled me why they had a small grille/large speaker combo, but it does seem to work well.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:19   #9 (permalink)

What has a small grille/large speaker combo? From what I can remember, EB's and ED's not only had larger in the steel door frame but they also had larger grilles...

I've got an EA Fairmont and I've got to put up with those pissy little 4" grilles...

Dave
antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 07:08   #10 (permalink)

YES!! I have successfully installed a pair of 6.5 inch Alpine splits in the doors of my EA falcon. The retailer I bought them through manufactures custom timber panels that bolt onto the bottom of the door. The midbass driver sits directly below the factory 4 inch housing (which now holds the tweeters).

The speakers run off a clarion amp mounted underneath the passenger seat and sound quite nice indeed. My only quibble is that with lively volume levels, the doors tend to rattle....a LOT! Perhaps its time to investigate a bit of bitumen coating or a similar sound deadening spray.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech