Ford Forums banner

EA Series 2 Temperature Problems

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Aussiblue 
#1 ·
Does anyone else know of constant Engine Overheating probs for the EA Falcon.

The Head has already cracked once before, new radiator, still seems to be losing water going missing somehere(does not appear to be going in the Engine), temp gage giving strange readings gets real hot a first then just drops in a matter of 2seconds.

Please Help Thanks

#2 ·
Excuse another one of my amateurish guesses, but could it be a blocked pipe somwhere or a faulty thermostat?

Seems weird.

Sundeep

#3 ·
Water pump okay?

Fan clutch/temp sense okay?

G
#4 ·
Ahhh the old jumpy temp gauge problem.....

I've read people in here talking about it before, and had the same problem when I put in my new thermostat. If your temp gauge goes fairly high(usually about 3/4 up on the normal area) as your car engine is warming up and then comes down like a japanese scram jet at woomera then you need to modify your thermostat. I did this to mine almost straight away because I was afraid of the damage it would be causing my engine block with the sudden temperature changes.

The way to fix it is to go and buy a new dual acting thermostat and drill a tiny hole(use smallest drill bit you can find) in the side of the thermostat to let a little bit of water through even when the thermostats closed. Problem fixed.... no more jumpy temp gauge and no more danger of cracking the head.

#8 ·
A previous thread on these thermos had a picture of each type. Sometime in June 2002 it was.

#11 ·
I put i new temp sense and new Thermostat in yesterday, the thermo looked like the dual acting one you said i should have. The problem is worst with the temp gauge looking more like RPM gauge. The thermo i took out of the car appeared to be slightly modified with the bottom of the bypass shut off??? looking like it had being hacked away, not a circle but a square shape??? Any ideas please.

#12 ·
Did you bleed the air from the system and fill the system in the slow painful way required to air locks? But if someone's being playing with the T-stat it sound like it might have a bigger problem perhaps a partailly blocked radiator or a slightly blown head gasket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.