EA tappet replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2004, 13:03   #1 (permalink)

confused EA tappet replacement

Guys, What's involved in replacing the hydraulic lash adjusters on an '89 3.9 CFI motor. I posted this elsewhere and got no responses so I'm trying here. It looks easy enough to get to the point of having the rockers on the bench but I'm not sure if the adjusters can be replaced on there own or do I have to replace the entire rockers. Do I need any 'factory tools'? How about preoiling and/or preloading the new adjusters? Just need to know what I'm in for before I tear it down.

Nigel
xmhrdtp-easpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2004, 19:34   #2 (permalink)
wants a manual!

Re: EA tappet replacement

you wont need to replace the whole rocker just pull the lifters out of them and either use new ones or get the old ones cleaned, replace the plastics and re oiled. make sure when you put them back in that the washer has the dot facing the top of the rocker and also make sure that the lifters have been bled
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 00:21   #3 (permalink)

Thanks John, how about a quick heads up on what's required to blead the adjusters.

Nigel
xmhrdtp-easpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:48   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Get a kit see http://www.perthwa.com.au/leanda/kline.html
PA250 VALVE LASH ADJUSTER REPAIR KIT
TO SUIT FORD FALCON EA-EB 1988-3/1993

COMPRISING
12 RUBBER PISTON RETAINER CLIPS
12 RUBBER BALL SEAT RETAINER CLIPS $21.50

Repco shoudl also have them.
Old 01-03-2004, 17:01   #5 (permalink)
wants a manual!

if you do the lifters yourself make sure that when you pull the lifters apart dont mix up the piston and outside bit of the lifter itself as they vary slightly in sizes and they wont work properly otherwise. once clean dip them in a thin oil and place the spring in then the piston. hold them together and use a thin nail to push the little ball bearing in the middle of the piston but only enough so the piston slides in but is still hard then squeeze them together again and push the ball bearing again and some oil will drip out and the lifter will become springy when you squeze it together then put your new plastics on and then you have reco lifters. make sure that they spring freely and are not sticky or click when you press them
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech