Ford Forums banner

EA Upgrade

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  NZ 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone can anwser this question. I have a 3.9 single point fuel injected EA and was wondering if it is possible to upgrade to multi point intake manifold. If so, what is involved?

#2 ·
This is quite easy for a mechanically minded person to do and is a substansial power increase over CFI.

To do this you will need a:

3.9 MPI computer.
Manifold with injectors and injector wiring loom.
A/C compressor brcaket (CFI dont have one, MPI do so the manifold will clear the compressor).
MPI dizzy (a CFI dizzy will work but its slightly better for the computer to have a MPI dizzy. PM me if you want instructions how to convert a CFI dizzy to MPI.
MPI manifold Gasket.
Airbox and piping.
MPI Throttle cable (I have no idea about the kick down cable on a auto)
Dip stick and tube (its possible to bend the CFI one to fit but it wont have the correct anchor point).
Heater pipe that runs aound the motor and associated ruber hoses.
Another length of hose for the brake booster.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

I did this on a 3.9 5 speed. I went to a wrecker and told him what I wanted to do and I was quoted $150 for all parts and I had to get a gasket from ford which was $26

Benefits: More power, revs harder, a bit smoother up higher although the fuel consumption is roughly the same.

Karl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.