Ford Forums banner

EA vacuum tank broken

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  EvilChief 
#1 ·
Ok guys, if anyone has followed any of my other posts you'll know I'm having un with the vacuum in my EA. I've nutted out alot of the problems but the last real remaining problem is that I can't change the fan from face to vent or foot well. it's stuck on face no matter what and from what I read, on here and in the gregorys manual, if the vacuum is lost it will default to demist.

So with manual in hand, I started tracing some of the vacuum lines behind the dash and found a lone black tube heading off to the right in the opposite direction of all the others. Ahh, a stray, where is he going? Kept following and he enters the drivers side kick panel. So I rip the panel out and see he goes into the body and under right front quarter panel where I see a round plastic ball it is attached to. Ahh, that's the vacuum tank as described in the manul. Oooh, look at that, it's all cracked and busted.

Now, this explains a lot because 2 years back I had someone hit me on the right front quarter panel. I never thought that it would have done any more damage than the panel but I guess I was wrong. I've had the panel pulled out a smidge so my driver door can open but have yet to have the damage fixed. No insurance, false witness on their behalf, long story, watch the movie when it comes out.

So riddle me this, how much effect does this vacuum tank have on the entire system as everything else seems fine. How much are they to replace and how easy are they to access?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
Will cause a big vacuum leak, block the hose will fix the problem very short term, its supposed to be a reserve (i thought), so that when doing a lot of changing doesnt effect engine revs etc

#3 ·
Hardly expensive to replace, most wreckers will never sell them, so he might ask $50 or something to cover the trouble of taking it out. Replacing it is something you can do yourself if you have a few hours, or any mechanic could do it - just remember you're paying him by the hour and it's a long job, not a skilled one....

#5 ·
EvilChief said:
should have told me 2 weeks ago ... i threw my spare one out :S
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

... anyway ... I wouldnt worry about it too much, replacing it is quite simple and can be done within minutes ... if u wanna go dodgy just block the line permanently. As simple as that ;)
I'll give it a go for now and see what if anything noticeable happens.

Thanks again guys,
Steve.

#7 ·
Dellboy999 said:
Why not arildite your one back to normal so it is sealed, or is way beyond help :0)
From what I can see through the door hinge area, it's pretty stuffed. If it's just two pieces then I'll do the old electrical tape wrap, like the cheap way of getting a cricket ball from a tennis ball.

Other than that, plug it up for now and grab a vacuum tank next time I come across one.

Cheers,
Steve

#8 ·
Ok, I blocked off the tubing and there was absolutely no difference in any area to do with the vacuum lines. Specifically, the slider to change from foot, face and demist still stayed on face.

Now I know by default if there is a vacuum leak that it will default to mist so something tells me it's not a vacuum issue but either the controller itself is stuffed or one of the internal vacuum taps is not doing it's job. Pull out the entire dash to find the problem? Not just yet.

The last time I pulled the dash apart, the controller for changing the vents was all vacuum based, not reall much of a motor there. Unless... the control feels alot easier than normal. Either a hose has come loose or the lack of vacuum somewhere is making it easier to move around. But I know there is vacuum there.

Thanks in advance folks,
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.