ea's a bit down - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2004, 00:03   #1 (permalink)

ea's a bit down

Last couple of days the old girl has lost quite a bit of power. It's starting fine, not running rough or missing. Floored it'll accelerate, but no where like it should. It also seems to become slower once it changes out of first into second (original 3-speed). Anyway, can any mechanically minded folk rattle off some 'maybe it's this' check lists. I know the typical things like throttle body, fuel pump etc., but any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Cheers. ian d
ian_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2004, 00:24   #2 (permalink)
EA FALCON

Re: ea's a bit down

ya its a three speed, change it to manual!
Ported Polished Head, XR6 Valve Springs,
Bigger Valves, Stage 2 Cam. Water Inj.
350hp EA
CURTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 00:42   #3 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

2nd gear in the 3 speed has never been good as far as I am concerened, but is it still changing at expected revs from 1st to 2nd or doing more or doing less, if it is changing at less revs, i.e. earlier if you hold it in 1st, then shift to 2nd does it feel like it used to.

could be as simple as a band adjustment and gearbox service possibly, to any other possible engine related problems, like lack of fuel so leans out and looses power top end, but idles and behaves in the low revs, pull the spark plugs take some pics and post them up.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:01   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like my XF... How old is the transmission fluid? And has it been burnt?
gordon451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:23   #5 (permalink)
heard it before!

my mate has a NA furlane 91 with 4 speed auto which is doing similar. wouldn't pull the skin off custard. its always been slow tall diff gears i blame for that but of late its much worse.
I'm GUESSING its the cat converter as I've heard of them blocking up and giving SLUG like performance
let us Know if/when you find out what it is cos my mate wont fix his until it wont make it to work
any ideas on testing them would be helpfull if anyone Knows
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:50   #6 (permalink)

If the cat. convertor blocks up the car simply won't go -- it won't even start, it's part of the exhaust system and you know what happens if you stuff a spud up the tailpipe! If the CC is poisoned, all that happens is it passes wind -- it doesn't react the emissions out, but it won't affect power.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:44   #7 (permalink)

cheers guys. ill be mucking around with it once my exams finish. im thinking its gear box/auto bands related, after reading the official ea repair bible from tafe the other night. all the symptoms point to the bands- clunking while changing, lack of power, lack of acceleration, holding gears, but who knows. most importantly its still driving, but it holds second way too long now.... like cruising gently up to 75 km/h before it'll shudder and change into third. someone mentioned the cat convert earlier in the week, so watch this space as ill have it fixed over the next few weeks. luckily i have a spare gear box in my collection. the fluid is clean as, and hasn't been burnt. regular fluid inspections is something i pride myself on. cya later
Old 09-15-2004, 06:46   #8 (permalink)

Gordon... do you go to pickles much, as in the auctions. if so did u see the white eb today?
Old 09-16-2004, 02:38   #9 (permalink)

Nah, haven't won Lotto for a while :)
Old 09-25-2004, 07:22   #10 (permalink)

ive come to conclusion it might be a band problem. took it on a back road last weekend. from a standing start just gently touching the gas it'll change 1-2-3 pretty much like that and be in 3 at 20ks. then going around a corner at say 20 it wont change down hence the lack of power accelerating. strange. does this give anyone else any clues? also its not changing down when floored like it should all the time, just when it feels obliged to. anyways enjoying trying to figure this out. Dean is your mates NA doing anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech