Ford Forums banner

EB Cooling system

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  blueoval 
#1 ·
Just had the cooling system flushed, new radiator cap, thermo housing and thermostat and filled with Techtaloy Gold. It was puerly preventative maintenance as it has never overheated and never needed topping up. The thermostat was however stuck open which explains why it always ran cold for a long time. My question is this. Will the computer need to adjust to a higher "normal" operating temp and if so how long will it take to adjust. I also hope that it may increase my fuel efficiency. Or is that just wishful thinking?

Cheers

#2 ·
Nah, the computer doest adjust to the operating temperature, the sensor has fixed resistance values. If your car was running cold (depending how cold) then the computer simply increases fuel mixture to increase rpm to prevent rough running and stalling when the block is cold. Since you have fixed the thermostat, the engine will heat up to the correct temp. Yes it will increase fuel efficentcy if yer engine is runnin at the correct temp.

Brent

#3 ·
I agree with Brent on that. With the thermostat open like that, the CPU thinks that the motor is cold so it compensates by adding more fuel like a choke!

Had the same problem with my 5ltr EB. But it kept stalling and it never got off of C and the heater never worked too well. When the thermostat was replace with an appropriate one, it ran like a dream and I cook myself with the heater in winter. One of the best inprovements I did for under $20.:hehe:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.