EB Falcon Temp Gauge going hot then back to normal - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2002, 20:16   #1 (permalink)

EB Falcon Temp Gauge going hot then back to normal

I have a 92 EB Falcon sendan Gl thats done 118,000. I had it serviced about 2 months ago and had a few things fixed then as well but now the temp gauge will go to the first line above the normal section then it will drop back down to the middle section of the normal and will keep doing that.

The coolant level is where it should be at the oil is full and everything else seems to be fine in the car (I don't know the insides of the car to weel though) and the car is running fine except for the temp gauge.

I hope someone can give me a suggestion to what might be the problem whether the something is wrong with the car or whether it is something wrong with the temp guage.
barney81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2002, 22:07   #2 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Check your thermostat, temp sender. Is the temp high when you first turn it on or does this happen while you are driving?

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 22:15   #3 (permalink)

When I first turn the car on the temp is in the cold it takes a little while before the temp guage gets abive the normal section.

Do you think it is a huge problem one that I need to get looked at quickly? and how do I check the thermostat & temp sender?.
Old 12-13-2002, 22:32   #4 (permalink)
donuts2001

Ahhh the old wandering temp gauge problem. There should be a tech article on the eafalcon website about this one i think ;-)

When you had you car serviced I'd say they have put a new thermostat in correct? For some reason in the E-Series there is a lot of pressure in the water pump system. So when you start your car and it's cold the water inside the motor heats up very quickly... yet all the water in the radiator is still icy cold because the thermostat holds the water in.

The Thermostat has one side of it cooling... and one heating it... this is why I believe the thermostat opens so late before opening(getting near red on your temp guage)

Then because it's open all water pours into the radiator and pushes the icy cold water back into your engine where the thermometer that shows you your temp reading is.

So looking at your temp guage your engine almost overheats... and then suddenly drops like a brick. I've had this same problem on mine and there is a way to fix it. You have to take your thermostat out and drill a small hole on the side of it so that some water can still get through, meaning both sides will heat up. Sounds dodgy... but worked for me, and haven't heard anyone else do it complain yet!
Old 12-14-2002, 00:18   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply

I am not sure if they put a new thermostat with the new service I will go in and talk to them on Monday.

My next question is if I keep driving the car at the moment will it damage anything. Basically is there any problem in driving the car at the moment with this problem.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:44   #6 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Barney, i had the same problem with my EB, the cure was to buy a genuine thermostat and remove the little bypass check valve on it.

It takes slightly longer to initially warm up, but once its warm, the gauge never moves
Alternatively, yeah, you could drill a small 3 - 5 mm hole into it.
9psi EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 08:39   #7 (permalink)
EB wagon

Ive got that problem with my car currently. tho in my case its due to a somewhat faulty fan clutch... the fan wont come on untill the temp gauage is in the top half on the normal scale... when it kicks in, the temp drops to just under the half way point... then slowly rises again when the fan cuts out.... doesnt worry me.

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 22:09   #8 (permalink)
AUII S

I had this prob about 4 months back, exactly the same, and i already and still do have the modified thermo.

Problem, Head Gasket, caused incorrect pressure and didnt turn on thermo at right time.

However i was losing water about every 4 days it was noticable.

If you are not losing any water then all i will say is??????
Amp - Eclipse PA5422
Fronts - Alpine SPS-571A
Rears - RockFord Fosgate T1572C
JMM Mods Some Day

vbman187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 07:49   #9 (permalink)

I don't think I am losing water I have been checking and it seems to stay the same. One of the things that I got fixed though was the rocker cover gasket. Could this be the problem? I am going to see the people who serviced and fixed my car tommorow morning I will see what they say the problem is.
Old 12-15-2002, 17:41   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replys.

I took the car back to where it got serviced and they said it was the viscaus fan & thermostat that aren't working. So I am getting that fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech