Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Standard Air Box

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Later model Air Box

Votes: 3 17.6%

EB S/C and cold air intake

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  XplodE 
#1 ·
Just finished modifying the induction on my EB, using an EF airbox ducted into the front wheel arch, and also modded the water injection setup.

This totally beats running a pod filter, it has dramatically increased response, and the car runs a lot more consistant - no more sluggishness on warmer days.

Will post pics soon.

Jamie
jamies@global.net.au

#3 ·
Yeap i'm running an EF box setup on my XR6 as well, but with no extra piping, just the stock one.

#4 ·
Isn't there a vacuum in the wheel well from the aerodynamics of the car? (Don't know, just asking.) I thought the main idea was to get air from the front of the car, such as the grill before it goes through a radiator etc.???

#5 ·
Here's my method, Lose the pipe and cut/ flute the air box straight through the inner gard the entire side of the box that faces the gard, and couple the gard to the air box with a pinch weld strip

I've had this mod done on my EB for the last 4 years and never had a drama ( not even with water splashing up from the wheel)

Good luck

#6 ·
Hi,

Ive heard of good results using the air snorkel from a XG ute and the standard air box on the EB. Its a bigger opening and I think it screws on a bit more to the side so its not right over the radiator. I will probably be doing this to my EBII very soon as it suppose to be better than a pod drawing air in from under the bonnet.

#11 ·
XG_Macca said:
Oi! Take it easy on XG Raptor... just cos you got rid of yours! Nothing wrong with it that heart transplant won't fix.
I only meant the factory XG snorkel from the airbox is crook. Mine ran a lot better with it removed - even if it was then sucking warm egine bay air.

I miss my old ute :BW:

#12 ·
Raptor.

I have an XG Ute and was trying to figure out the best way of doing a cold air intake.

Did you notice that much difference just taking the snorkel orf?

If i am corrrect from memory the air box on the xg is upside down compared to the ef box we see in the pics?

#14 ·
XplodE,

XG's have the EA-ED style airbox.
(air goes IN the top section and OUT the bottom section)

The trouble is the XF style nose and radiator support of the XG does not direct air up under the bonnet to then enter a snorkel. So the XG snorkel snakes it way around to the front of the box then squeezes through a thin gap in front to finally have an opening down behind the front light. This is supposed to mate up to a matching hole in a plastic panel stuck in behind the light (mine didn't line up).

I ran the ute either with the whole snorkel removed (would then suck air straight off the motor/fan so not ideal) or with the two sections seperated. This way it still snaked its way around to the front of the box but I removed the restricted piece that went down between the airbox and the radiator support panel. This way it would still most likely get whatever clean air come through behind the light.

Both seemed to improve throttle response (and induction note).

Hey it is worth a try, it takes about 2 minutes to remove and or replace these sections.

#18 ·
Since we're talking about XG's, I had an XR6 on LPG, cold air intake was done by removing air cleaner box, and replacing with a pod tucked right in behind headlight.
Plus some sheetmetal mods, to open hole up behind light, and remove plastic shield on the headlight, and A/C receiver/dryer.
Worked a treat, on a long country run in the morning the intake manifold felt very cold to touch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.