Ford Forums banner

eb wont stop

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Teeldama 
#1 ·
My EB won't slow down sometimes, when you are traveling at 60 kph and take your foot off the accelerator it continues on at the same speed. If you brake to a stop the motor contiues to rev for a few seconds then slows to idle.
It has single point injection, I have had it checked on an analyser and told the Map sensor is out of range, and the tps is open circuit, changed these and made no difference.
However, because I have the genuine manual I tested all the sensors (apart from the map - no indication how) and found the heco sensor to work intermittantly, would this cause the problem I am having?
The motor now has started accelerating away on ists own, ie stop and the lights, remove ya foot off the brake and it slowly accelerates up to 60km and beyond, I am always on the brake.

#3 ·
danger

I had the same problem with my EA wagon with CFI.
Its the throttle positioning solenoid.Sometimes it can be rectified by resetting the base idle but most often the solenoid is rooted.
Take your air cleaner off and increase the idle with a screwdriver at the TB then disconnect the solenoid.Take it for a spin and see what its like. A new one is about $120. Make sure you increase the idle enough to prevent stalling when selecting gears and when you turn the steering as there will be no compensation

#4 ·
Thanks for your help, the throttle cable is fine, it all returns to idle physically, but the small electric motor on the tb won't allow the butterfly to close.
Would it be worth trying a throttle position solenoid from wrecker to see if this is the problem, or is it a signal problem from the computer?

#5 ·
Generally ,if it wasnt happening before but has started to happen recently you can almost bet it is the TPS. Get a workshop manual and read the instructions on how to rest base idle and timing.Once this is done and the problem goes away your done,however if it is still there your better off buying a new TPS as the one from the wreckers may not last or could be faulty also.

#6 ·
Thanks, tried resetting the base idle, found the idle adjuster to be seized, took a while to free it up without breaking anything, problem still initally there but went away, I don't know if this is just the intemittant nature of my problem, but I will get a new tps and see how that goes.

#7 ·
Definately the TPS. I had exactly the same problem also. Originally took it to Ford to fix and they just kept setting the base idle on it. Ended up taking it elsewhere and they replaced the TPS and it was perfect straight away.
I chewed through an entire set of brake pads cause of that problem so get it fixed ASAP

#8 ·
Thanks for the help, replaced the TPS, reset the idle as per the manual and apart from the idle being slightly high (600 rpm), it now performs as it should. So much for spending good money at a repair outlet and them telling me this is a common problem and to bypass the throttle motor and reset the idle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.