Eb Xr8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2002, 23:37   #1 (permalink)
Red EB XR8 Driver

Eb Xr8

Hey.

Im wondering if anyone might know what is causing the following:

Now and then when I am driving, if I give it a bit of stick, it revs higher and has a long gap before it takes off, kind of putts a bit before moving.

On the same note, now and then I do the same thing, and I can hear it backfiring right underneith me (like its backfiring just behind the CAT's) and it looses all it's power, for 2 or 3 seconds, then it takes off.

This morning when I drove to work, (I use the gears in the automatic to drive) I put it in first, and took off out of the lights, then it changed to second, then third, then forth, why I still had the gear lever in the 1st position. I dont know if this has anything to do with the above problems, but whenever I take it back to ford (Under Warranty) they can never get it to reproduce the problem, so unless I work out what it is, it may not get fixed before Warranty is up :(

Thanks guys.

Shaun
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2002, 06:17   #2 (permalink)
Damage Fixxer

You have a EB that is under warranty?
Old 10-10-2002, 06:22   #3 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

the only thing you can do is wait till it does it, then take it in ASAP, and take the mechanic/foreman for a drive and show them.

check the auto oil level, make sure it is spot on (check when engine running!) and also condition - if it looks a bit metallic or is brown and not red then you might be able to get a gearbox out of them...

one more thing, why do you use the T-Bar to change? just put it in D and you will be better off in all driving condidtions, unless racing (er, on the racetrack, obviously...) then it can be benificial to rev it harder, seeing as your car has aftermarket exhaust and stuff so it breathes better...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 06:36   #4 (permalink)
XR9UTE

Sounds like a dying fuel pump or blocked fuel filter. That backfiring is likely detonation caused by the lean mixture.

Pete.
Old 10-10-2002, 13:20   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
"This morning when I drove to work, (I use the gears in the automatic to drive)"
Using the auto as a manual like that will stuff the trans. Best leave it in drive.

Those lower gears are really only for slowing the car on steep downslopes. That hesitation maybe signs of your transmission starting to fail.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:18   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Mine did that when new under warrenty. They said the cats where burning a rich mixture causing a backfire through exhaust on gear change.They said[?] they replaced an 02 senser...
Pete is prob right, seems a mixture problem...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 05:45   #7 (permalink)
Battens PerformanceTuning

The transmission is going into limp mode, the probable cause of this particual problem is the gear select sensor. It operates on the principal of resistance, if the ecu see's a radical change in resistance or out of parameter for the gear selected it will go up the gears to top. It usually finds itself when in nuetral or when the ignition is cycled off and on again.

As for the the backfiring, Pete sounds like he is onto it. might be able to check the basics such as timing, fault maf sensor :). If anything is out of parameter the ecu should be throwing out a code. Either that or take it to someone else who knows what they are doing.

Suggest these things and see what happens.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:20   #8 (permalink)

Thanx God I Fitted a 5 speed and sent my auto to bottom of the broadwater.
prostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 00:12   #9 (permalink)
Red EB XR8 Driver

Rollin, all this seemed to start happening after my mate changed the oil. He put the whole 5l of oil in without checking.... I thought that was a bit wrong...... if its running with 2 much oil - would that cause powerloss and etc as well?
Old 10-15-2002, 04:38   #10 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

oil in the auto or in the engine? 5L in the engine is ok, but if the auto is overfilled then somethimes they can run really crap, as the oil in them gets aerated and the transmission looses pressure to actuate the clutch packs and stuff.

so with a bit of luck it will just be too much oil in the auto

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech