ebII fairmont keyless entry - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2002, 00:34   #1 (permalink)

ebII fairmont keyless entry

hey guys,
i'm probably going to be getting my folks ebII fairmont soon, and i was wondering about the locking system that is place. it has central locking, but not remote or an immobiliser. does the current ford locking system that is in the car now allow you to just add on to it to enable keyless entry and boot release? or do you have to buy a whole new setup and install it?
on another related topic, what's the basic kw for a good condition ebII fairmont? and what's the best way to bump it up for the least money?
what size wheels/mags/rims whatever you want to call them will fit without any probs?
sorry for the long post.

oh, and the other thing was what about a manual conversion from a 4speed auto?? prices, problems, suggestions?? know anyone that will do a good job?

cheers
luke
ninety_sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2002, 00:45   #2 (permalink)

Actually it does have an immobilser, there should be a light in the LH corner of the dash that flashes 'smartlock'.
The central locking it has also functions through keypad/remotes, sound like they were lost? You can just get new ones and program them to work with the car.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 03:13   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, the smartlock Keypads are around $90 Brand New, Ford Genuine :dead:

They can be trained though, to work on your car, and doing that is an easy process.

Alternatively, for that price, you might want to look around for an immobiliser, or alarm system, as they usually come with 2 keypads, and cost anywhere in the vicinity of $200 upwards.

(Considering 2 Ford Keypads would cost you around $200, the Immobiliser / Alarm might be your better bet - I.E. Free Alarm ! for the same cost).

Cheers
Matti
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 05:56   #4 (permalink)
No longer around

90 bucks?????? i got ours for 65 each
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 06:27   #5 (permalink)

Im still really confused on this whole smartlock immobiliser thing. My brothers ED fairmont can start with only the key, no need to use the remote. So how does it know the code, without pressing the button on the remote? Is there a code in the key??
Old 08-08-2002, 18:43   #6 (permalink)

The Smartlock Immobiliser Thingie is like having 2 distict and seperate modules. (They even have their own seperate Power and ground on the EF).

Anyway
<LI>1) You have the Remote Control, with Central locking and Boot Release.
<LI>2) Then you have the Immobiliser section.

Both of these work independantly, IE you Could unlock or Lock the Car Using the keypad, but that doesnt change the Immobiliser state. The Keypads Purely only Lock/Unlock the Doors, and Open the Boot.

The Immobiliser section is a real trcik peice of kit, (For a factory unit anyway!).
If you want more details on how Smartlock works,
http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mij/Au...Smartlock.html

Cheers
Matti
Old 08-08-2002, 19:57   #7 (permalink)

Re: ebII fairmont keyless entry

Quote:
Originally posted by ninety_sixer
hey guys,
on another related topic, what's the basic kw for a good condition ebII fairmont? and what's the best way to bump it up for the least money?
K&N filter would be the first thing to do, cost about $120. Maybe then extractors and 2 1/2" exhaust. Herrods systems are supposed to be pretty good.

Quote:
Originally posted by ninety_sixer
what size wheels/mags/rims whatever you want to call them will fit without any probs?
cheers
luke
I've got 17 x 8 on my EB, Martin has the same on his ED XR6 and Kelli has 18 x 8 on her ED XR8.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 21:22   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
The immobilised state is indicated by the Smartlock warning jewel (LED) as a rapid flash rate.

The system enters the immobilised state if Smartlock receives at least two incorrect codes when the ignition switch is turned to On.

When the car is in the immobilised state, you cannot start the engine, as the BEM has disabled both the starter motor, and the EEC-V system.
how and where does the smartlock recieve the codes? As i said before, you don't even need the remote in my brothers car, in fact it could be in a different country, and it will still start with the key. Does the key contain the codes?

And how does this compare to the crummydores VR-onwards immobiliser?

Cheers
Old 08-08-2002, 23:56   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by xf_xr6

how and where does the smartlock recieve the codes? As i said before, you don't even need the remote in my brothers car, in fact it could be in a different country, and it will still start with the key. Does the key contain the codes?
Cheers
Quote:
Originally posted by Xyphoid

The Smartlock Immobiliser Thingie is like having 2 distict and seperate modules.
1) You have the Remote Control, with Central locking and Boot Release.
2) Then you have the Immobiliser section.

Both of these work independantly, IE you Could unlock or Lock the Car Using the keypad, but that doesnt change the Immobiliser state. The Keypads Purely only Lock/Unlock the Doors, and Open the Boot.
Anyway, here is an Extract from the above doco that I posted a link to previously

ELECTRONIC IMMOBILISATION SYSTEM - SMARTLOCK (All Series)
The electronic immobilisation system is designed to protect the theft of the vehicle.
The BEM controls the smartlock functions, and the electronic lock assembly that contains an electronic device with stored security codes.
When the ignition switch is turned on, the BEM asks for 3 security codes from the electronic lock assembly.
If at least 2 of these 3 codes are correct, then BEM will enable the starter motor to operate.
The BEM also communicates with the EEC-V engine management system, which only allows the injectors to operate if the BEM recieves the correct security codes from the electronic lock assembly.
This prevents the motor from being started, if the starter motor is "Hot wired".

KEYLESS ENTRY SYSTEM (All Series)
The keyless entry system allows remote unlocking of the doors.
A small radio transmitter with a unique code is used to communicate with the BEM.
The SMARTLOCK module can be programmed to recognise up to 4 keypads.

ELECTRONIC IGNITION LOCK ASSEMBLY
The electronic ignition lock assembly contains a lock barrel, a shear shaft, an ignition switch with a vane, and an electronic circuit board.
The circuit board contains two infra red transmitters and receivers, and an E2PROM that holds the security codes.
When the key is turned, the vane on the ignition switch rotates and reflects one or both of the IR Transmitters.
This enables the electronic lock assembly to verify that the ignition switch is correctly fitted, and the position in which the key is in. When the key is turned to the On position, the electronic lock assembly transmits three codes from special memory locations to the BEM.

SMARTLOCK REMOTE KEYPADS/KEYFOBS
The keypad is a small radio transmitter that transmits to the BEM a unique code (for security) and a code to either lock/unlock the doors (and Tailgate for wagon), and to operate the Boot release.
Up to four keypads can be programmed on a single BEM.
The transmitter operates at 303.8Mhz, and uses a 12V dry Cell Battery that lasts approximately 1 year.
The transmitter has a range of about 10 Meters.
When the Transmitter is used, the BEM operates the Hazard Warning Lamps to indicate a successful operation. The BEM also turns on the interior lamps when the doors are unlocked.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:32   #10 (permalink)
Chromed Member

i put a ed smartlock module in my na which only had factory central locking (off the key) and NO immobiliser.

what i ended up with is remote boot and door operation and the flashing light in the dash...so people think it HAS smartlock anyway...oh yeah it also dimms out the interior light as well.
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech