EBII Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2004, 06:31   #1 (permalink)
Go The Stone Brothers!

frown EBII Problems

Hi all,

I own a 92 EBII and I have been having a few problems with it and was wondering if anyone could help me.

Ok well firstly i keep hearing a really loud CLUNK from the front left hand wheel whenever I reverse or brake hard. I have been told it could be the bushes or ball joints, but im not to sure, and would anyone know a good place I could send the car to be checked and not get ripped off, or would anyone have a suggestion?

Secondly, now this is going to be hard to explain... When I turn a corner (turning left) my car looses all guts, I have no acceleration while turning even with my foot down (by the way the car is still running it does not stall). As soon as the car lines up straight again I get power back and car runs fine. This problem has really puzzled me, it only seems to do this turning left and only happens intermitently, especially when the car warms up.

Last but not least, this problem has only just started. When i start my car after it is warm it runs really rough and on the ocassion stalls, i have to keep the revs up for about 10 seconds and then its fine. If I start it when its cold I have no problem.

Does any one have any idea on what could be causing any of these problems?
Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
- Ace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2004, 07:08   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Re: EBII Problems

Problem 1: Could be left hand engine mount, ball joints or steering rack mount bushes.
Problem 2: Got me puzzled. But it sound like there might be a power steering fault that is causing a fault on left turns only and is robbing engine horsepower. Perhaps the two faults are connected. Check the steering rack mounts are not broken and the power steering fluid is at the correct level. It could be the teeth on one end of the steering rack are binding. How does the steering feel otherwise? Does it take more steering effort to turn left? Perhaps the ball joints are so badly worn they are binding. Are the front tyres wearing evenly?
Problem 3: Check air filter is not blocked.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:38   #3 (permalink)
Go The Stone Brothers!

Thanks for your reply blue,

My steering seems to be fine, it doesn't take any effort when turning. The steering fluid is also at the right level.
By the way exactly how do i check to see if the engine mounts are stuffed?

Although my front tyres seem to be wearing evenly, they are a bit smoother on the outside edge maybe due to cornering hard.

I checked the air Filter and it is not blocked.

Thanks again
- Ace
Old 01-04-2004, 04:49   #4 (permalink)
Go The Stone Brothers!

frown Re: EBII Problems

Hi all,

I still havent worked out the problems.. does anyone have any ideas?

Please help

Thanks
-Ace
Old 01-04-2004, 05:03   #5 (permalink)
known as tibbo

i think 1 and 2 are related .. The engine mount has seperated (died) and that is the clunk and also as you turn the weight of the engine moving is hindering the induction pipe and it is squeezing shut ( or at best kinking on a nasty angle restricting airflow)

To check your mounts..

With the bonnet open and car running peer under the gap so you can see some of your rocker cover.. Then put the car into reverse with your foot on the brake and rev it.. As the car torques up the engine shouldn;t move more than 1 inch.. Then put it in 1st and do the same thing .. If the engine lifts on either side your engine mount is rooted
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 08:41   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Re: Fault 2:
Does it matter at what speed you take the corner. If only at high speed it could be a fuel pick up or fuel filter issue (the momentum moving sediment in tye filter partially blocking it) or more likely a loose electrical connection (e.g. ECU earth - this would also explain fault 3 as the ECU would also have to continully relearn throttle positions etc). Does the self diagnostics from the ECU give any fault codes.

In any event, I would check the screw for the ECU earth wire behind the passenger side kick panel is not loose and that the asssociated self tapping earth screw is not loose.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech