Ford Forums banner

ECU effects on mild cam & extractors

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  laminge 
#1 ·
If I fit a mild cam and extractors / modified exhaust to a 1988 EA 3.9 mpi S-pack, or do any other mechanical mods, will the electronic management systems allow me the full benefit of the mods or will they tend to pull things back to base levels preset in the computer?

If the ECU etc will interfere with the mods, is there any way to get the maximum benefit apart from a programmable add-on to the ECU, and preferably a lot cheaper?

I understand the general idea of engine management systems, but I haven't got a clue about the details and how they interact with modifications.

#2 ·
I ran both an EDXR6 cam for a while and a Crow 22825 cam for a while in my car (with 2.5 exhaust etc.) with the std EEC-4 ECU and overall the performance was noticeable and didn't "fade" away after a while. The Crow cam caused idle issues (which was annoying with the auto tranny but wouldn't be any hassle at all to a manual car) but the EDXR6 cam ran fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.