ecu, stalling - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2002, 20:32   #1 (permalink)

confused ecu, stalling

i've got an AU II xr6 hp,
it seems that nearly every time i pull up at the lights to stop or change gears as i slow down my car wants to stall.
I've been told that the ecu could be dead and needs changing but the local ford dealer wont do it in waranty cos no fault codes come up. It's really frustrating and i need help!!!
My dealer keeps blaming on the cam, cos i've also got a dev 4 kit in it, but i don't belive that it the problem.
Has anyone else had this type of problem,?????????
AGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2002, 20:36   #2 (permalink)

oh and i also challenged the dealer to send the computer away for testing but acording to them no1 tests au II computers yet, :(?
So yea i can't even test it
Old 12-01-2002, 01:38   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

You may have to reset the idle differently to what std specks say!

With a cam the engine needs MORE air to idle. By turning idle up with screw it also puts tps higher pluss the iab maybe at its max so it won't step up to stop stall & the eec thinks its on light throttle/cruse..You may have to play with tps .. Get a digital multy meter disc iab turn idle screw to what the engine runs/ idles good at then adust tps to under 1 volt say 0.95.. "koeo" from memory its the orange wire just pierce it to earth on battery or pierce each one till you get around 1 v you should get 5v / earth and around 1v @ idle ..Thats the one!!..you'll have to elongate the holes on tps to adjust iff out.Then refit the iab connector..See how that goes??

tps =throttle possition senser
koeo = key on engine off..
iab= Idle air bipass [or idle motor..]

Remember it's moded so you'll have to play with it..

Taking it to a dealer with mods to get serviced esp tuned??? You may as well had taken it to your dentist!!
I bet there is nothing wrong with eec!!
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 02:06   #4 (permalink)

Ok, here is my guess....

You have a Dev 4 kit, so I presume you have a k&n panel filter? Just guessing...

I had problems with my EF, close after every service, it would have real bad idle quality and sometimes stall.

Anyway, I wasn't letting the oil dry for long enough after cleaning the air filter and it was drawing oil through to the air flow bypass valve on top of the throttle body and clogging it with oil and grit. As it controls the idle and wouldn't report to the ecu, I bet it is the culprit.

Have a look and see if that is the problem, get some CRC solenoid cleaner or carb/efi cleaner from Big W is good enough and clean it out to see if it helps!

Good luck
Mike Jones
mjones@au.ibm.com

1994 EF Fairmont Ghia
1963 XL Falcon Deluxe
1986 ZL Fairlane
xl250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 02:57   #5 (permalink)

thanks ebxr8240, i've been playing wif all that stuff for ages and know exactly what your talking about, but hasn't really helped much, and with the iab, i know that it's not maxing out, cos i've had it connected to a ford computer and shows that at idle it's only open at 30% and factory specs say 30%-35% with 30% being optimal.

also thanks to xl250 but yea i do have a k&n but have also checked out my throtle body and all clear

any other thoughts?
Old 12-01-2002, 03:00   #6 (permalink)

has anyone out there got a dev 4 kit in an AUII xr6 hp,?
just wondering how your car runs?
Old 12-01-2002, 14:29   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by AGXR6
has anyone out there got a dev 4 kit in an AUII xr6 hp,?
just wondering how your car runs?
I don't have a DEV4 kit, but the best way to start your investigation is to get the specifications of your DEv4 cam and compare it with your stock XR6 cam. It could be that the cam is just very warm ie cam lobes opens the valves much earlier and close later. As what ebxr8240 mentioned play around with those settings and if it fails then perhaps you may need a Uni chip or the like to cater for the cam.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 18:59   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AGXR6
i've had it connected to a ford computer and shows that at idle it's only open at 30% and factory specs say 30%-35% with 30% being optimal.

Remember these guys only work on std cars and DON"T know anything about moded motors [generaly]..

I think when setting these up the aib should be not open..The reason for taking connector off when setting idle ..Some motors need a hole in butterfly[as in v8's] to correct this problem for the idle motor is too slow to respond leaving the motor surging or stalling..Have you disc the battery each time you set it? May help also..
Another is your battery in reasonable nick and alternator? Even connections on battery etc for the eec will not work under 8 volts so check all earths including the one on the eec module itself and the one on the head.Your tps goes from under1 v to 5v progresivly?? other things to check fuel presure and pump..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech