Ford Forums banner

ED Fairmont GHIA V8 - speed limited

3K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  xr8power 
#1 ·
Are the the V8 Ghia's speed limited just curious to know thats all.

Was driving around the other night on an old closed road and mine doesn't seem to be.

Just wanted to know have other people tested it or do you know the specs.

If it is speed limited at what speed?

If yes is it limited by the engine computer or the gearbox computer?

#2 ·
what did you get it up to?

i've run to 205, and she's got more in her and it feels quite secure at that speed too, but the fear of coppers pulls me back about then.

i think they're limited to 250kmh or 255kmh or something, but that'd be in the engine computer. some places do take the limit off, but then again, why would you be getting up to THAT speed?

#3 ·
i could be wrong here but i was under the impression ef was the first model to cop speed limiters. all ef's where speed limited to 180-185 (varies from car to car) with the exception of manual xr8's. from el on all models were speed limited although i believe - and again someone correct me if im wrong - ba's are rev limited rather than speed limited.

#4 ·
If you're going to take it over 200 you might as well keep going!!!
I don't think the penalty for 230 is any different to 205. To return to the subject, I drove a 6 cyl ED hire car that had a speed limiter at about 180. I thought all autos ED on had them.

#7 ·
I did do this on a closed road, this road is now privatly owned and can only be accessed by the owner who is a good mate of mine.

Anyway i managed to get my car up to around 198kms and i could still accelerate, i easily passed 190kms. I had to break as we were running out of road. Mine is an auto it is 100% stock except a k&N air filter.

Could the V8 have been different to the I6 or is my car just a freak. Oh and mine is a 4 speed auto and was in economy mode.

#8 ·
200+ easily. I don't think they're speed limited, although mine is an EB Ghia. I'm just assuming that the ED donk/box have the same computer guts as the EB's. 6cyl EFs though are limited to 180, but I don't think they're rev limited coz I was doing single wheelers at around 5000rpm ;)

I've forgotten what I think I got up to (speedo ends after 199), but it was either around 210 or 220, & it felt like I could squeeze maybe an extra 10kph out of her. Too bad I ran out of road :eek:

The wind noise was phenomenal!

-Dave-

G
#10 ·
On some EB-D V8 the Speed and rev limiters can be turned off using the Tweecer or EEC-tuner. In fact I sold an EEC-tuner to a guy who just wanted to turn off the speed limiter. Of course when he starts modifying he'll be able to completely recalibrate.

Pete.

#11 ·
I take my Nf fairlane v8 upto 220 regularly with plenty more to go on the pedal, and it *is* speed limmited at 180. Theres a bug in the computer, by having cruise control enabled the limmiter dosent apply for some reason.

Also, if you floor it in nuetral, i cant blow up the engine, all the lights cut out, ie, all the interior lights cut out, and head lights etc. just bounces off the redline. need an excuse for a efi 351 transplant.

G
#12 ·
Fairlane Boy said:
I take my Nf fairlane v8 upto 220 regularly with plenty more to go on the pedal, and it *is* speed limmited at 180. Theres a bug in the computer, by having cruise control enabled the limmiter dosent apply for some reason.

Also, if you floor it in nuetral, i cant blow up the engine, all the lights cut out, ie, all the interior lights cut out, and head lights etc. just bounces off the redline. need an excuse for a efi 351 transplant.
Have I got the engine for you then!

Pete.

#16 ·
XG utes hit the hard limiter @ 180km/h. The engine just cuts out. You have to slow to less than 180 and back off, ie TPS to zero, before it will fire up again. If you hold it flat to the boards, it will coast to a stop without re-firing.

#17 ·
I believe the speed limiting is due to concerns with the tailshaft. Before you remove limiters it would be a good idea to overcome the shortcomings of the reason why the limiter was put there in the first place

#18 ·
shaynet said:
I believe the speed limiting is due to concerns with the tailshaft. Before you remove limiters it would be a good idea to overcome the shortcomings of the reason why the limiter was put there in the first place
yep dont think I'd want to be in a falcon doing over 180 for extended periods of time and have the trusty single piece tailshaft give way...i gues it would be an experience though...providing you didnt kill yourself in the process!:p :p :p :p

#20 ·
xr9 ute (pete)-I'm sure mine's not speed limited. It happily accelerated over 200 clicks and had more left. It's a 91 EB XR8 so it's a series 1. Maybe the series 2 XR's were the first to be speed limited??

G
#21 ·
xr8power said:
xr9 ute (pete)-I'm sure mine's not speed limited. It happily accelerated over 200 clicks and had more left. It's a 91 EB XR8 so it's a series 1. Maybe the series 2 XR's were the first to be speed limited??
That's possible xr8power. Is it a 5speed? What catch code is your EEC?

Pete.

#22 ·
my previous car was a 96 ef xr8 manual and that would wind out to 230km/h - thats where it stopped but, i had plenty of road left and i held it flat for ages but it wouldnt go past 230. judging from that i would have thought the ebii xr8 manual that xr9ute converted would not have been limited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.