Ford Forums banner

ED Fairmont Questions

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  oz_orion 
#1 ·
Hey, I've got my eyes on a ED Fairmont Wagon which sounds good in black metallic and supposedly good condition. One prob before I see it - it has leaking power steering but the owner says the fluid is being thrown around by the fan. Now, I assume this means a hose leak as opposed to a rack or something major. Any ideas (yes I will check the car when I get to see it, however any known info would be helpful).

Car has LSD, 1600 towbar, otherwise stock. Owner wants too much moolah (over $7k) but I'm hoping cashish will sway the argument towards low 6s. I wanted a V8 but talk about hard to find!!!!!

Anything else I should look for? (don't know much about ED series).

#2 ·
When my car had a power steer leak it turned out to be a faulty 'switch', which is inexpensive to replace.

If the car is a well maintained example there wouldn't be much to worry about. A professional check-up wouldn't hurt though.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Pete,

I can't help with the PS as I haven't had any trouble there, apart from the usual h/brake cable, belts, hoses and bushes my ED has been without fault (more thorough routine maint would even have avoided those dramas). It still even has original head gaskets & bolts ~144 thou kms.

Assuming your purchase goes ahead let me be the first to welcome you to the LSUG™.

#5 ·
LSUG and HalfDozenClub will only be a figment of everyone's imagination as I will not allow my name to be on rego papers for such a vehicle he he he. I shall use the vehicle however for what it is good for - renovation special to tow and stow house goodies and of course hound dogs!

#6 ·
I hate to point this out but, $7000 for a black ED Fairmont wagon is a good price, they are hard to find in that color !

#8 ·
Are you still looking for a V8? This may be a little out of your price range, but Power Ford in Castle Hill (I believe you're in NSW right?) has a metallic green ED Fairmont V8 for $10,990. I reckon you could get them down to $9,000 since they've had it for nearly two months. They're giving warranty and there's that $1,000 worth of petrol thing with Ford used cars too. It's in good condition, I don't remember the Kms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.