ED idle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2003, 18:12   #1 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

ED idle

On my ED 4.0ltr there is a sticker under the bonnet that says idle should be at about 600 or so rpm.(its an auto) Problem is that the tacho reads it at idle to be about 300-400 rpm. And yes i have read it correctly, checked numerous times:). The car doesn't idle rough or want to stall, infact it seems to be running perfectly normal. I only noticed this since i put an s-pac dash in about 2 months ago, but its not running any different from b4 the dash went in. So is the tacho reading slightly wrong or do i need to up the idle? And how do you up the idle? Thanks in advance

Hoops
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2003, 19:16   #2 (permalink)

Like speedos, Tachos arnt always known for their accuaracy, hook a multimeter to it that can measure RPMs and see what its idling at.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 19:40   #3 (permalink)
EB wagon

Yea, like Martin said, those speedo's aint that accurate, especially at low rpm coz the grading is slightly compacted on the dial. Tho a I6 will idle slightly better then a 4cyl at lower revs. My EB 3.9L revs around 450rpm (in drive) and it seems completely happy with it so i aint gonna touch it...

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 20:54   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

If it's o/k then leave it that way. Upping the idle will also increase your throttle position on your senser, making it idle slightly rich and could cause surging troubles..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 21:12   #5 (permalink)
Professional P Plater

Thanks for the replies guys.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech