Ford Forums banner

ED idle

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  crodarian 
#1 ·
On my ED 4.0ltr there is a sticker under the bonnet that says idle should be at about 600 or so rpm.(its an auto) Problem is that the tacho reads it at idle to be about 300-400 rpm. And yes i have read it correctly, checked numerous times:). The car doesn't idle rough or want to stall, infact it seems to be running perfectly normal. I only noticed this since i put an s-pac dash in about 2 months ago, but its not running any different from b4 the dash went in. So is the tacho reading slightly wrong or do i need to up the idle? And how do you up the idle? Thanks in advance

Hoops

#2 ·
Like speedos, Tachos arnt always known for their accuaracy, hook a multimeter to it that can measure RPMs and see what its idling at.

#3 ·
Yea, like Martin said, those speedo's aint that accurate, especially at low rpm coz the grading is slightly compacted on the dial. Tho a I6 will idle slightly better then a 4cyl at lower revs. My EB 3.9L revs around 450rpm (in drive) and it seems completely happy with it so i aint gonna touch it...

Brent

#4 ·
If it's o/k then leave it that way. Upping the idle will also increase your throttle position on your senser, making it idle slightly rich and could cause surging troubles..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.