Ford Forums banner

ED Steering drama

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Rollin 
G
#1 ·
I have a 1994 ED Fatura. Iv'e had the car for 4 years, and since then the steering has always made a vibrating noise when turning in a stationary or driving slow then turning sharply.
Ive been to a Ford dealer, and asked if it can be fixed. And they said "It's common and it can't be fixed". Is this true?

Anyone got any idea's with my situation?

Stats on vehicle.
6 Cylinder, Auto, Power Steering.

#3 ·
I have an ED, 6cyl auto, and my steering is perfect at slow speeds. You really shouldn't be turning the wheel while your car is stationary(dry steering), as it is no good for the steering. I have had the power steering pump die on me, but b4 it did and after it was replaced the steering has been good. When it was on the way out, the steering was roo's brother ted, making a noise and vibrating like yours. Turns out tho that for a dodgy fix for a buggered power steering pump is to relax the tension on the belt a bit. It will do what yours is doing but you won't have to pay for a new pump for a little while. As soon as the belt on mine was set at the correct tension when it was stuffed, it snapped a new belt. Was lucky tho cos i got my car from a yard it had a warranty which covered this. Saved me $200 odd bucks

#4 ·
ED Steering Drama

Check the bearing at the bottom of the steering column. This collapses sometimes and makes a very loud noise when turning at carpark speeds. Pop the bonnet, and have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you have a listen. Should be able to trace where the sound is coming from!

Cannot replace bearing - complete column (bare) from Ford about $285 trade.

Cheers

XWish Ute

#5 ·
are you talking about the shudder as you turn the wheel when parking?

that is common on pre EF falcons, and i think if you have wider wheels than standard it becoms worse.

as said above i believe you can fit a EF high pressure line and that should stop the shudder, but for a free fix you can just turn the wheel a little slower when parking...my car only does it very very very occasionally, i have DEXRON III auto fluid in my power steering system, that might be a good expariment, drain and replace your fluid with DEXRON and see if it has any effect?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.