ED vs EB bonnets - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2002, 04:05   #1 (permalink)

ED vs EB bonnets

I need a new bonnet for my ED and have been told that EA and EB bonnets are not interchangeable with the ED bonnet as the grille mounts are different. This is a big hassle as I am having trouble tracking down a straight ED bonnet for my CobaltGhia. Has anyone tried altering an EB bonnet to take an ED grille or should I cut my losses and buy a newie. Evidently only Ford make ED bonnets and there are no aftermarket suppliers. Is this also true?
zimbahulachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2002, 14:45   #2 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

I didn't know they were different. They look the same, I'd be interested to know what is different. With all the 'mock ups' going around, I'd like to know whay they did.
If you were talking EA to DA, I'd under stand.
Now that I think of it a mated 'mocked' a EA to EB by putting in the grill and removing the bonnet one. (It didn't look good) So it could be a ED think. Sorry I could not help.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 18:53   #3 (permalink)

ed bonnet

The grill is different thats all,I had an eb fairmont ,put a ed fairmont gril on it 3 screws,even the XRs are the same with out a grill mounted to the bonnet. Beleive half of what you see and nothing of what you hear.or go to a wrecker they will show you.

seeya
Old 11-22-2002, 19:38   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

edxrwgn,

Sorry to disagree with you, I have a EBII that in the past must have had the bonnet replaced with an ED one. Before I knew this I went and bought an EB grille, and the mounting points sit about 1/2 an inch higher on the EA/EB grille.

Photo's can be supplied to show the differences on the mounting points on the grilles.

Know this cause I now have an ED grille that fits on the bonnet nicely between the headlights.

There are places that selll aftermarket EB grilles that "apparently" fit ED bonnets and visa versa.

Chris Nee
Chris Nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 22:46   #5 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

I believe BOF put a ED grill into his old ea from memory...there used to be photos in the 'other eas' section of eafalcon.com......not sure where these pics are now...also not sure if he modified the grill in anyway to get it to fit, but from the front you could have sworn it was an ED....
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 23:16   #6 (permalink)
Cyclone Pilot

Question EA Grille!

I posted a thread somewhere else in FF (I think in E-Series modifications) about fitting an EA grille to my ED.

I DETEST the look of the ED grille and much prefer the look of the EA grille. When I went to the wreckers to get an EA grille, I tried to fit it, and to my horror, it would not go on!!!

I spoke to the wrecker about it, and he told me that the EA-EB bonnets are different from the ED bonnets.. WTF??!!

I don't understand why they changed the bonnet around completely. Wouldn't this have cost a lot of money for a fairly minor change???

Anyways, if anybody knows where I can get an EA grille to fit an ED bonnet, I'd be greatly appreciative.

PM me if you know any details about where I can get these grilles.

Cheers.

LowerED
Old 12-01-2002, 11:20   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

Try ozeparts.com.au they reckon they have grilles to fit. Anybody want to swap my ED bonnet for an EB?

Chris
Chris Nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 19:59   #8 (permalink)

yes EA,EB,ED bonnets are all different to each other.
the grilles are not a bolt on fit but thats not too say you cant modify them?
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 20:06   #9 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_eb
I believe BOF put a ED grill into his old ea from memory...there used to be photos in the 'other eas' section of eafalcon.com......not sure where these pics are now...also not sure if he modified the grill in anyway to get it to fit, but from the front you could have sworn it was an ED....
The pics are all still there, but now in the archive: http://www.eafalcon.com/pictures/mem...mberscars2.htm

It was an ED replica, though I think he might have changed the bonnet.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 03:39   #10 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

why not get the eB grill and the bonnet? The ED grills don't suit the car anyway (apart from the slick looking XR's)
GO the EB!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech