Ford Forums banner

ED vs EB bonnets

6K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  carazy 
#1 ·
I need a new bonnet for my ED and have been told that EA and EB bonnets are not interchangeable with the ED bonnet as the grille mounts are different. This is a big hassle as I am having trouble tracking down a straight ED bonnet for my CobaltGhia. Has anyone tried altering an EB bonnet to take an ED grille or should I cut my losses and buy a newie. Evidently only Ford make ED bonnets and there are no aftermarket suppliers. Is this also true?

#2 ·
I didn't know they were different. They look the same, I'd be interested to know what is different. With all the 'mock ups' going around, I'd like to know whay they did.
If you were talking EA to DA, I'd under stand.
Now that I think of it a mated 'mocked' a EA to EB by putting in the grill and removing the bonnet one. (It didn't look good) So it could be a ED think. Sorry I could not help.

#3 ·
ed bonnet

The grill is different thats all,I had an eb fairmont ,put a ed fairmont gril on it 3 screws,even the XRs are the same with out a grill mounted to the bonnet. Beleive half of what you see and nothing of what you hear.or go to a wrecker they will show you.

seeya

#4 ·
edxrwgn,

Sorry to disagree with you, I have a EBII that in the past must have had the bonnet replaced with an ED one. Before I knew this I went and bought an EB grille, and the mounting points sit about 1/2 an inch higher on the EA/EB grille.

Photo's can be supplied to show the differences on the mounting points on the grilles.

Know this cause I now have an ED grille that fits on the bonnet nicely between the headlights.

There are places that selll aftermarket EB grilles that "apparently" fit ED bonnets and visa versa.

Chris Nee

#5 ·
I believe BOF put a ED grill into his old ea from memory...there used to be photos in the 'other eas' section of eafalcon.com......not sure where these pics are now...also not sure if he modified the grill in anyway to get it to fit, but from the front you could have sworn it was an ED....

#6 ·
EA Grille!

I posted a thread somewhere else in FF (I think in E-Series modifications) about fitting an EA grille to my ED.

I DETEST the look of the ED grille and much prefer the look of the EA grille. When I went to the wreckers to get an EA grille, I tried to fit it, and to my horror, it would not go on!!! :AAHHH:

I spoke to the wrecker about it, and he told me that the EA-EB bonnets are different from the ED bonnets.. WTF??!!

I don't understand why they changed the bonnet around completely. Wouldn't this have cost a lot of money for a fairly minor change???

Anyways, if anybody knows where I can get an EA grille to fit an ED bonnet, I'd be greatly appreciative.

PM me if you know any details about where I can get these grilles.

Cheers.

LowerED

#9 ·
hot_eb said:
I believe BOF put a ED grill into his old ea from memory...there used to be photos in the 'other eas' section of eafalcon.com......not sure where these pics are now...also not sure if he modified the grill in anyway to get it to fit, but from the front you could have sworn it was an ED....
The pics are all still there, but now in the archive: http://www.eafalcon.com/pictures/memberscars/memberscars2.htm

It was an ED replica, though I think he might have changed the bonnet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.