Ford Forums banner

EEC-IV Help.

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  raiki 
#1 ·
Some computers that have the 95xxxxxxxx transmission, there is 2 wires that run between the two computers. Does anyone know what that are for? They are not speedo signal.
It is for the 95 model transmission, not he 85 or 91.

My car is a 1993.

#2 · (Edited)
If you are talking about a V8 with a 95LE. There is a red and a Black/Red wire pair from the EFI ECU to EAT ECU.

This wire pair is serial comms between the two ECUs. The EEC indicates to the 95 the Air con status, engine overheating, reverse gear indication to EEC for torque cut out.

Adrian

#4 ·
If it is not connected obviously the gearbox wont know about fault conditions or reverse gear but I doubt that will cause any problems.

The trouble is there may be a fail mode set to fault. ie is the comms fails gearbox goes into limp home mode or similar. You can only try disconnecting them and see what happens. I doubt you'll damage either computer in doing so ???

Now I am curious, why would you want to disconnect them ??? Are you replacing the EEC with an aftermarket computer or did you get over zealous with some wire cutters and that is why the box is not working right ???

#6 ·
Intersting one!

All I know is the shift patterns change according to air con on/off and engine temp. Trans shift points will be a few km sooner if air con is on or engine is overheating etc. As for the reverse signal, the V8's have a torque limiting mode when the car is inreverse gear which is meant to protect the box from damage.

#7 ·
I have no idea what will happen but I would think the gearbox will work it's just change positions may not be right (more than likely shift early).

If the EEC is still in the car you might as well disconnect the two wires and see what happens. If not you are just going to have to try it with the new ECU and see what happens.

If it is no good you could always get a computer from 95LE in a 6 cylinder, thats assuming such a beast exists. Your lucky its a 95, if it was a 91 chances are you would be left with no computer at all for the box, they were integrated with the EEC.

Don't spose the EECIV is for sale or did you do this because it died ??? I'd like to EEC the 351C I am building for my XD ute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.