EF accelerator/revs probs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2004, 03:39   #1 (permalink)
.au member

EF accelerator/revs probs

2 things: (sorry if ive put this in the wrong section, you think id know by now:)

My EF has issues with revs - it holds them for far too long both in driving (in D with econ mode), and also if i just gun it while its parked. If i hit the accelerator while its parked and rev it up, it falls back down to normal idle levels VERY slowly. Any suggestions as to what to check?

Next one - i think my accelerator cable may need replacing, as sometimes i can phsyically feel the accelerator pedal sorta 'click', and i can mash it to the floor and it'll still take ages to rev up. Basically what i need to know is how to remove the old cable and put the new one on. I'm assuming about $50-60 for a new one from Ford?

TIA :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2004, 04:03   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Re: EF accelerator/revs probs

I'd say the accelerator prob would be the TPS. It's probably worth your while grabbing a cheap one from a wrecked EF-AU Falcon and seeing if it fixes it. They only cost about $25 from what I hear.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 04:13   #3 (permalink)
.au member

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor? Sorry, showing my ignorance here.

The cable itself is showing its age, all the plastic on it is cracked and just peeling off, so i would like to replace it soon anyway.
I've just gone outside, and given the cable a yank by hand just above the engine, and its made the pedal feel much stiffer to push down on. So i think by replacing the cable it might solve both problems.

As for the revs dropping as slow as they do, still a little unsure about that one?
Old 08-01-2004, 04:17   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Replacing the cable sounds good, but I can't give any advice there as I wasn't into DIY when I had mine done. The cable it self is around $66 from what I hear, or that might have been the price I paid including installation.

And yep you're on the money with TPS, if the slow rev dropping still happens I'd check it out. Actually I understand you can test them with a multimeter but someone who knows electronics would be able to explain it better...

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:27   #5 (permalink)
Packed up and gone.....

The slow revving down I beleive is controlled by the Idle Speed Controller, which in turn is controlled by the ECU, (Correct me if i'm wrong), and the reason the ISC controls how slow the car revs down is to keep the car smooth revving.

I cant say I've ever heard of this problem BTF, or of an "Overactive" ISC. However once this happened to me while I was driving: I was fangin the the sheet outta the car and then all of a sudden found that when I put the clutch in, It decelerated back to idle REALLLY SLOOW, if at all.
I fixed it by resetting the ECU. Problem solved, so give that a go, worth a try.

Let us know how you go anyways Oh and My accel cable is peeling as well, same as a couple of mates, and their cars are fine, so I'm reluctant to say that the cable is causing the deceleration problem. Anyways keep us informed BTF.

cheers,
-The Child

You know who I am...
-Dan
XR6child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:33   #6 (permalink)
'90 EA-II Fairmont

cables are about $40 from ford.... TPS is the electronic reading for the throttle, which i gather controls, at least in an EF, the ECU's built in transmission computer? hence the over-revving if this is faulty...

the cable should be easy to put on, it snaps on to the pedal at one end (kinda, look at it and you'll understand) and the other end the spring sits inside the bracket and the other end of the cable sorta clips thru then has a metal stopper over it...

i had an MPI cable in my CFI and it was giving me troubles.... do you have the stock diff in the car, cos if its not the same as the car came with ratio wise this could cause the rev problems also... maybe even a transmission service might be needed...
Rosewood EAII Fairmont 02/90. MPFI 3.9L (formerly CFI), 4spd BTR Auto. Skyline geared 3.45g open center 28 spline 4 pinion differential & axles. 2 1/2" Cat Back Exhaust. King Super Low Springs. Sound: Equalization and amplification by Clarion; Head unit by Sony, Front, Rears and Sub by Pioneer. Planned mods - t5, Extractors, Painting Grey Strips and new front and rear bar.
SileNceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:35   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

My EF has the same problem, you rev it and the revs stay up. I think it would probably be caused by the TPS or ISC. Unplug the ISC and manually muck around with ur idle until it steadies, then rev and see if it has the same problem.

Check my sig for specs of my new car. Picked it up for a song

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 16:45   #8 (permalink)
-

Anyone thought of a vacum leak? try unplugging your PCV hose and watching the affect it has on the revs dropping.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 17:17   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

But with vacuum leak, it would just have a permanent high idle if you know what I mean.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 21:02   #10 (permalink)
.au member

Well some further testing today has decided that:

A new accelerator cable is in order. I think its pretty well stretched to buggery, simply because if i get a hold of it and yank it (from inside the engine bay), the accelerator pedal will become all stiff and harder to push down (how it's supposed to be), but as of late i can quite literally push it flat to the floor and not much will happen. So I think a new cable will fix that, as well as being a lot more attractive than the chipped, peeling, broken one that's there now.

So that's one thing on the to do list .

I also reset the ECU overnight, took it for a drive again today, and it's doing the same thing, so that rules that out.

I'm reluctant to go messing with the ISC as to be honest i have no idea what to do to/with it, and the idle of the car is fine - it's only when its revving down that it takes far too long. But if someone wants to explain to me what im supposed to do and what to , i'll give it a go and see how it all pans out.

Cheers, once again the E-Series guys are saving me $$$!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech