EF Air Box - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2002, 21:44   #1 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Fan

EF Air Box

Hey guys, was playing with the intake on my car 2day, and in the top half of the air box, the pipe that leads to the throttle body tapers down to about 55mm at the end. Can u cut the pipe back to the entrance of the box where it is about 70mm???? for the obvious reason of more air flow?? Has anyone done this?? Then i'll use a K&N panel filter and i already have the tickford AUXR8 snorkel.

Cheers for ya help
Lee

'69 XW Fairmont GS (GT Replica), Reef Green 351c 2V (not for long ), Top Loader, 9" with 3.55's,
RedEF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2002, 22:45   #2 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

It's interesting that you bring that up - Autospeed did an article where they tested various intake setups and they found that the stock std original EF airbox setup with that tapered extension inside actually flowed better (ie. resulted in less pressure drop thru the airbox) than with the extension cut off!! Do a search on the Autospeed tech articles section - I'm pretty sure it was a free article.

I've got EF BBM and intake setup on my car and the first thing I did was cut that extension off - I noticed no improvement.

As a matter of interest I also fitted an EL intake setup (ie. the airbox lid thru to the TB) and actually felt a definite loss of performance. I didn't go further tho and try getting rid of the bad restriction the EL has in it's airbox outlet adaptor.
Old 07-27-2002, 01:10   #3 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Hey fellas. Since I updated to the EF manifold/air box in my EA I have noticed that the EF box has a noticeable restriction on performance.

If I run a straight pipe, with no box or filter, I notice a very decent torque and power increase.
At this stage the best performance I get out of the box is by having a 4" cut out in the bottom of the box taking in cold air, and leaving the original hole open as well. However, I still have a standard filter in it, and this is probably responsible for the remaining noticeable power loss.

I will be replacing the tapered extension with a 3.5" pipe to match the rest of the system, this might help a little.

IMO, the standard box needs work.
Old 07-27-2002, 04:09   #4 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Yep, that'd be the ideal.

- do bear in mind that my answer was directed specifically at the issue of ONLY cutting off the extension piece in the airbox - to which end the Autospeed article definitely proved a decrease in flow once the extension was cut off - so in short either go the whole hog or leave it be.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:59   #5 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Fan

Im just wondering on peoples opinions now. Would a pod style filter, or new panel filter be better. I will still use the existing air box, but am wondering whether just to use a panel filter, or take the next step and put in a pod filter in the factory box. Also, has anyone led in extra feeds to the factory box on a EF Fairmont with ABS relays [i think] in front???? ie, cut a hole to down in front of the splash guard??
Cheers ppl

'69 XW Fairmont GS (GT Replica), Reef Green 351c 2V (not for long ), Top Loader, 9" with 3.55's,
RedEF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech