EF cold air intake options - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2002, 16:31   #1 (permalink)
Mob Sh!tter Extrodinaire

EF cold air intake options

Hey fellas

I'm looking at putting a bigger cold air intake on my EF. I've looked at the tickford ones but they don't seem to be that much bigger. You'd think you'd get bugger all airflow from that tiny gap under the bonnet. Is there any reason why ford dont have a larger one like the ones holden have that run pretty much the length of the radiator. Would these heat up too much ? I'm thinking of making my own over radiator style thing out of either fibreglass or some sort of plastic.

Another option is to put XR bonnet vents in with a pipe heading into the air box. I'm leaning towards this one coz the XR vents look cool anyway :-)

The last option I guess is the hole and duct under the airbox trick but this might be a bit tricky with the ABS.

Any ideas ?

5 speed 4.0 EF Futura
IT's Stage 4 engine
ET: 14.4 R/T: 0.001s !
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2002, 16:49   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

The tickford ones (AU series) are a bit tricky to fit to the E series falcons, but can be done. The best flowing snorkle is actually the EL XR8 snorkle which you can pick up for around $30 and will flow more than is needed. The problem with feeding the air via the bonnet vents is that you have to setup a pod inside your airbox.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 17:16   #3 (permalink)
Mob Sh!tter Extrodinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by EDXR8
The best flowing snorkle is actually the EL XR8 snorkle which you can pick up for around $30 and will flow more than is needed.
I wouldn't think there'd be such thing as more flow than needed with cold air intakes. Surely it's a case of more is better ??

5 speed 4.0 EF Futura
IT's Stage 4 engine
Old 10-17-2002, 21:58   #4 (permalink)
Not Fast Enough, Dammit!

I've got a 5Litre EF and shown below is the pic of the original intake, and next to it the new one that I got from Ford Spare Parts... I cant exactly remeber which model it is supposedly from though
http://www.geocities.com/stinger02/intake
Old 10-17-2002, 22:33   #5 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

The one in Giah's pic is the EL XR8 snorkle. Hyena, yes, the more flow the better, but an engine only requires a certain amount of unrestricted air to run. The EL XR8 snorkle flows more than enough for upto 220-240kw. There are bigger snorkles on the market which are quite expensive and are overkill unless you need it.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 22:53   #6 (permalink)

Hyena, i put a redback air intake on my EF XR8 which is bigger the the EL XR8 snorkle that Ghia has shown (in the pic). To be honest though, i had some problems putting it in, firstly, i had to cut a bigger hole in the airbox, and fit in an additional plastic mould that came with the intake, then, once fitted, i found that one of my belts (situated right behind the intake) was taking chunks out of the intake. To get around this, i had to cut a hole in the intake, and plastic weld a cap from the inside that would give the belt more room - lucky for me, this worked. I must say though, awsome results from this.

About the scoops, the EF XR8 scoops point out towards the windscreen, so if you think aobut it logically you could say that they where not designed to let cool air in, but let hot air out. Make sure you take the plastic covering off (thats bolted onto the bottom of the scoops) and take off any turtle back - this should allow the hot air to rise more freely, and out the scoops it goes - again, it worked for me.
Hope this helps you at all
FoEvRnItE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 02:31   #7 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

would the EL XR8 snokel hook up to an EB/ED 4.0 litre with any worries?
Cheers.
LoverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 03:27   #8 (permalink)
Mob Sh!tter Extrodinaire

Thanks for the info FoEvRnItE. Where did you get the redback intake from and how much did it set you back ?

On a related note, is it worthwhile replacing the EF dual 'computer controlled torque' intake duct between the airbox and the throttle body with one from say and EL or AU ? It wouldn't be too expensive I'd imagine - and cheaper than having a mandel pipe fabricated (as featured in the book 21st Century Performace by Julian Edgar of Autospeed)

5 speed 4.0 EF Futura
IT's Stage 4 engine
Old 10-20-2002, 05:31   #9 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

the mandrel bent pipe is a dyno proven 4kW at the top end, with slight gains all the way. yo uwould probably get more if you wrapped the pipe in thermo tape to keep the heat out, but my parents car (below) had a HPC coating on it...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 05:44   #10 (permalink)
Mob Sh!tter Extrodinaire

Is that a custom job Rollin ?

I assume you mean 4kw over the standard EF dual pipe system not the EL onwards single style ?

5 speed 4.0 EF Futura
IT's Stage 4 engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech