ef drive belt + seal - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2006, 15:09   #1 (permalink)

ef drive belt + seal

g'day everyone, long time reader first time poster....

A few days ago i bought a ford ef falcon 11/95. and a few things need to be fixed up for the roadworthy. Firstly i need to replace the drive belt and it has a rather large oil leak. from what i've read front case seals and head gaskets are common, but this doesnt appear to be that. With mirror and torch in hand it looks more like a power steering tensioner seal..another person told me it was an O-ring inside the case... Has anyone had to do this before??

also, i would most likely be replacing the belt at the same time, any tips to make this a little easier?

thanks
crom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2006, 16:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: ef drive belt + seal

Replacing the belt is an easy job. Remove the thermo fans, (2 10mm headed bolts at top) & the 2 electrical connectors & the fans will lift out. Use a 3/8" drive ratchet to back off the tensioner (there's a square drive on the tensioner) & remove belt. Refit in reverse, just remember which way the belt went.
As for the oil leak, the tensioner doesn't have any oil in it. It may be leaking from the front of the head gasket, between the head & block, & running down the tensioner. Wash it down with degreaser, drive it for a day or two, then recheck. You should be able to see where it's leaking from.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 17:10   #3 (permalink)

ah ok cool, belt sounds easy enough.

As for the oil leak, its more like its around one of the bolts ... dry above it but wet under it .. like you said though i will wash it first for a better indication, thanks for the help.
Old 02-04-2006, 21:46   #4 (permalink)
ford is king

could be leaking from the chain tensioner bolt as they use oil pressure to keep the tension.

other wise it could be comeing from the head.

a pic would help heaps.
Old 02-04-2006, 23:06   #5 (permalink)

heya, I'll have another look when i do the belt.. if i can grab a snap shot i will.. the head gasket looked clean though, thats what i checked first because others had said it was a common problem. If it is the tensioner bolt, how can i solve this..?
Old 02-12-2006, 03:06   #6 (permalink)

Hey again guys, just letting you know...

this saturday i replaced the drive belt, and the lower pulley (noisy) and during the process had another look around for the oil leak, turns out it was the timing chain tensioner... when i went to undo it, the part was allready loose :( which would explain the larger amount of oil.. one of the other mechs. at work helped me resit the tensioner and we pulled a few other bolts out and put sealer on them aswell. All that remains for a fully roadworthy ef is to get the gas tank stamped.

thanx for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech