Ford Forums banner

EF Fairmont Overheating (maybe)

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  6pAc|30nG|00n 
#1 ·
I have an EF Fairmont (I6 - Automatic) and it has been telling me it has been overheating the last couple of days when I sit at traffic lights in gear or drive around in fourth gear. When I flick it to neutral at the lights, it will go down a bit, but if I leave it in gear it will just go over the "normal" section on the temp gauge and start beeping at me.

Yesterday I flushed out the coolant, replaced the upper and lower radiator hose, put new coolant in and did an oil change while I was at it.

Went for a drive and still had the same problem!!! Within 2Km's from a dead cold start it was telling me it was over heating.

I felt the upper radiator hose and it was hot so I am guessing the thermostat is opening, but the reservoir tank was still quite cold. I slowly took the radiator cap off and the coolant that was trying to escape was still only luke warm...

I can't see any leaks...

Any ideas???

Thanks for you help!

See less See more
#5 ·
go get a proper ford job, costs about 3-4 bucks more than a generic, which is abou 22-25 bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.