ef ghia mods - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2002, 00:54   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

ef ghia mods

hey everyone, i have recently bought a ef2 fairmont ghia and was wondering a couple of things, firstly i was wondering where would be a good place to start modding, i was thinking along the lines of fitting an exhaust and/or cold air induction. secondly while torque isnt a problem, when out of econ mode the thing revs with little gain, any suggestions would be appreciated
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2002, 01:05   #2 (permalink)
I need NOS

Rabbi,

From what I know, the "power" mode on the trans only makes downshifts faster & holds out the gears longer before changing. In econ mode, there is probably little gain as the trans will be changing before say... 3000rpm. At 3000rpm and higher seems to be where all of the I6's develop maximum torque.

+ Go the 2.5" exhaust. Either cat back or with extractors. With extractors it does develop better lower end torque, and if you add cold air aswell, overall torque on the engine improves aswell.

What about suspension, or doing springs first so it rides better?

Hope the above information is correct!

Best of luck rabbi

Phr3ak
Old 09-08-2002, 02:01   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

at the moment im not too concerned about ride height untill i save enough for a set of wheels ill be totally thrilled with, it sits lower that normal ef's though. When it is in the higher rev range it seems too all be noise and no action ,
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 06:19   #4 (permalink)
Stand clear: 5.0 in use!

The difference between econ and normal modes is very noticeable in my 5.0 litre EF. The trans really short shifts and slurs through the gears in econ mode- I hate it! Normal mode is much more responsive and feels a lot 'freer' through the gears, making better use of the torque. Econ mode is only really recommended for towing, as the torque convertor locks up earlier. Result? Less slippage= less heat.

I don't know if it's my ChipTorque modified ECU, but I notice the difference between the two modes like night and day. Fuel economy is also no different in my experience. Allowing the engine to rev closer to it's torque peak would gain better economy. I don't see how labouring the engine at lower RPM can mean better fuel consumption?

Mike

EF Fairmont Ghia, Bordeaux Purple, 5.0 Windsor, Crane cam, ChipTorque modded ECU, full XR bodykit, 16 inch XR8 alloys, 2.5 inch dropped Tickford suspension, full grey leather trim with chrome, woodgrain and lots of lights, climate control, ABS, Premium sound, trip computer, power everything

I can't get enough of this!
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 18:19   #5 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

exhaust and extractors will let it breath a heap better down low and up top. Much more srpitely feel tot he car. Should cot you around $800 (depending on how far you want to go). Don;t be pursuaded to get a highflow cat, they aren't that necessary on EFs/ELs as it's already bigger than most OEM stuff. You'll barely notice the difference with a high flow cat. Thing is, a few extractors need a new cat because they have long secondary pipes. Have a look around. Extractors and exhaust (if carefully chosen) can give you 15 wK extra at the wheels. As you have an XR6 engine, Lukeys with 2.5" exhaust and one muffler gives really impressive results.
The most you'll get out of inlet mods is maybe 5-8 kW, so it isn't always worth it for around $300.
However, for EFs I would recommend, switching to an EL inlet duct (single pipe) with an AU2 XR8 intake snorkel (bigger throat area = better hwy speed response). Try and adapt the EL inlet duct to the EF box (not hard) as the EF box flows really well. K&N filters are popular as well.
Add a cam to all this and your car will have about 135+ RW kW, or about 30+ kW more than standard.
Good luck.

james
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 04:18   #6 (permalink)
Hater-o-Head-Gaskets

rabbi, I came across this site once, (http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mij/Automotive/Index.html) its simple but has some interesting ideas, tips and several mods.

Has anyone worked out (perhaps with a trip computer) how much the economy mode saves?

...::: www.FordMods.com :::...
Wazza80-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech