EF radiator into the EA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2004, 21:52   #1 (permalink)

EF radiator into the EA

Hi

I just got my car fitted with a brand new EF radiator and EF twin thermo fans. but i want to drain the water out of the radiator and refill with coolant, but when i went under the car the drain plug wasn't in the same place as the old EA radiator, Where has it gone!!!! Grrr.Other than that I am very pleased with this modifacation i can really notice the extra power gained by taking the old clutch fan and so quiet, all you can hear now is the engine revs. If anyone can help it would be very much appreiciated.

thanks

Peter
30th Ann. 1990 EA Falcon Stationwagon, Rosewood Red, EB GT Bonnet Scoop, EL XR6 Tear Shaped Air Vents, 5spd Manual, CFI with K & N Round Element, Pacemaker Extractors, Sony head unit, Now with EF Radiator an EF Thermo Fans.

Driven the Rest, Fords the Best.

Last edited by fudge1979; 01-16-2004 at 22:01.
fudge1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2004, 22:04   #2 (permalink)
Shaken Not Stirred

Re: EF radiator into the EA

Hey

The drain plug is under the radiator on the drivers side. I find it easier to take the thermos out and take the bottom hose off the radiator.

Cheers
the_scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 22:15   #3 (permalink)

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply, I checked again the hole is on the drivers side but there was no drain plug Hmmmmm .I was going to do it that way, but I wanted to make sure that i got all the water out of the system, as i am using a premixed coolant (Castrol Radi-Cool). Would I get all the water out this way?
30th Ann. 1990 EA Falcon Stationwagon, Rosewood Red, EB GT Bonnet Scoop, EL XR6 Tear Shaped Air Vents, 5spd Manual, CFI with K & N Round Element, Pacemaker Extractors, Sony head unit, Now with EF Radiator an EF Thermo Fans.

Old 01-17-2004, 01:38   #4 (permalink)
Fu(kn Slow & Low

hey just wondering did you do the conversion your self or did you pay someone to do it for you, if some one else done it can i ask how much you paid for the conversion and how long it took???

Ehab
White 1988 EA Fairmont Ghia ~ Gassed ~ EF camshaft ~ Lowered on super low king springs (not low enough) ~ 2.5inch cat back exhaust system with one muffler ~ Clear indicators ~ Simota POD filter ~ New head built for gas ~ 3.23 open wheeler diff ~ EF XR 16inch rims ~ pioneer deck and rear speakers ~ sony front speakers ~ kyb shocks

driving a 3 speed auto with no second gear!!!
Need PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 04:14   #5 (permalink)

Well I did it by taking the bottom radiator hose off, not sure if i got all the water out, because when I refilled it with coolant I could only put in 10 to 11 litres, anyway we will see how it goes.

EA_GHIA_2NV: Yeah I got my mechcanic to install it for me
Parts cost :
EF radiator Brand new = $296.00,I was quoted by Ford for an EA radiator $487.00
EF Twin Thermo Fans Second hand = $160 .00
New Bottom Radiator hose $23.15
Auto electrician to hook it all up = $120.00
Labour = $180.00
All up $779.15, there other things that weren't included like coolant which I added myself and a new header tank which just finished installing

In reguards to time (this is going to be a long story, if you don't want to read this skip this part) it all started back in early november last year when i went my mechanic for a service i told him that i wasn't happy with radiator as it was over heating alot, there were no leaks or cracked pipes, so we narrowed it down to either the radiator, faluty thermostat or the water pump impellors being rusted out. so he tells me that he converted this ED to the EF radiator and thermo fan set up and best thing for the car he quoted about $400 - $600 to do the job, i told him i was a bit tight for cash at the moment so i told to book it in for about 3 weeks time he said no proms it give me a chance to order the parts in. Now its about the second week of december i bring the car in, do you think he got the parts in, take a guess, anyway he final get the part in 18th or 19th so he says no worries i ll have it ready one hundred percent before christmas. i give him a ring on the monday before christmas to see how hes going with everything, he says that the electrician took off on holidays on friday and he didn't tell him so he didn't change the radiator over. Not happy jan :(any way he said he flush the radiator out and shouldn't give me to much of a problem. Take off on boxing day out to Coonabarabran which is 200km west of Tammworth it should be a 6 hour trip which turned out to be 16 hours because of over heating, I noticed water hissing out from the bottom pipe under the header tank, it was lossing about 4 litres of water every 45mins of driving, i though this could be the answer to all my problem so i go to the ford in town and they said there was a small crack in the bottom of the header tank water was escaping because of the pressure (now i m getting typing cramp) so i told them install a new they had courier one in from Dubbo, all up it took 2 days (because it was between christmas and new years) and $245 (out of my buget for going down to the nats). Then i starting thinking if there was too much pressure build up a pipe or something else could blow up, so made the decision to put the old header tank back on and take the thermostat out at least that way i knew i could make it back to sydney. I drove all night it still took 11 hours ( I don't recomend driving at night it is very dangerous. jan 5 take car back to the mechanic tell him the story of what happen, he said ill get fix for you. jan 17 pick the car up. I don't want to sound like i am knocking my mechanic, he is really very good and i would recomend him to anyone, it just he is a one man operation and i reckon he does a really good job of it. I just reinstalled the new and very expensive header tank and refilled with coolant

If you made it this far i recon if source and have all the parts and tool that you need, if you have a bit knowledge of taking cars apart and you know a reliable auto electrican you should be able to knock this conversion over in a week end, it just takes time fine tuning the thermo switch to it optimal performance which is the tricky bit.

geezz it 11 o clock
hope that helps

Last edited by fudge1979; 01-17-2004 at 04:34.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:35   #6 (permalink)

I did it myself and thermos are well worth the effort and time IMHO.

6pAc.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 05:44   #7 (permalink)

quick question
it is a little bit off the topic but what those IMHO mean

I think we need to start a dummies guide to abbreivations

Old 01-17-2004, 15:35   #8 (permalink)
Shaken Not Stirred

Thumbs up Re: EF radiator into the EA

In My Humble Opinion
the_scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 20:45   #9 (permalink)
If Only I Had Lexus Power

I did it my self with the help of my bro who is an electritian. It was a bloody neat job you couldent even see the wiring ar switch

A POINT I AM GOING TO STRESS, is that instead of using a blade fuse on the thermos use a self resetting switch instead, and hook a piezo buzzer up inside the car so you know if it does trip . I had the fuse blow once and i didnt notice until it was too late. the excess pressure blew my overflow tank apart. head gasket was fine though luckily

Overall a very good cheap conversion, probably only cost me $ 200 all up... and get the EL thermos if your going to do it, much easier
Bugatti Veyron 16.4 ---- W 16 Configuration, Quad Turbo 1001 HP, 1250Nm, 4 Wheel Drive
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:53   #10 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Do a search on the Forums.
Theres a guy here who makes a wiring loom specifically for this purpose.
I have changed mine to a twin thermo jobbie & havent looked back since..

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech