Ford Forums banner

EF Side respraying - how much?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  back2thefutura 
#1 ·
I'm posting in the hope that someone will have had this done at some point or another.

In order to once and for all cover up the absolutely atrocious colour match job that was done on my EF, it will need to have both sides of the car resprayed. This includes:

All 4 doors (not inside the doors though)
Side strips
Both side mirrors
Rear bumper (the whole thing as it's chipping)

Seeing as there are no dents in the panels, and the paint is in relatively good condition (front half is new, back is same age as the car but no major chips etc etc), i'm hoping it will be a reasonably priced job to do. The aim would be to match the new paint to the existing colour on the front of the car (quarters, bonnet etc).

But because i know absolutely bugger all about this kind of thing, can someone please run me through what will be required to do the job properly (i.e. what kind of prep, how many coats of paint etc etc), and give me an estimate of how much i'd be looking at to get both sides done (EF Falcon remember).

I realise it's difficult to do without actually seeing the car, but any help is appreciated so when i go looking for quotes i at least have some idea of what they're talking about.

Cheers!

See less See more
#3 ·
It's very different - quite literally 2 different shades, with the front having a lot more blue in the mix than the back due to the shit match when they redid the front end. (the car is white).

It's worst at night but is still very visible (to me at least cos i have to live with it:doh:) during the day.

#4 ·
i resprayed my whole car my self and cut all the rust out and it only cost me bout $400 - $500 for the thinners primer and paint this only helps if your doing it yourself

#5 ·
mines was done for $800:
this included -

Boot lid
all 4 doors, blended into the 1/4's
panel under the boot lid.

#7 ·
i'll tell you know being a white its very hard to match (i work in a panel shop) your safest option if you want the full car to match get the lot resprayed,a full respray being white n as you claim not much on the repair side should cost you at $2500-$3000 depending on how much repairs need to be done.

#8 ·
badguy,

i know its hard to match white, but whoever did the match the last time it was painted must have been drunk and blind - it is a disgrace.

If i was planning on keeping the car i would go a full respray, however i just want to fix it up and sell it off as soon as i can - there is no way anyone would buy it with the colour as it currently is.

EFFalcon, going by that, i would be assuming around the same kind of money to do mine.

#9 ·
Providing they don't have to do any repairs you could get out of it quite cheaply IMO. It sounds as if you only have to rub the sides back and then spray over them. If that's the case they could probably do it in a day....it's not that much work. But then again, they're panel beaters...they'll charge you for everything even colour matching.

#10 ·
Hoping so, i can probably do the preperation myself as there isnt that much to do - just sand back the roughter areas of paint (the drivers side mirror is especially bad), and then get the job done.

I havent gotten any quotes yet but am hoping to get the job done for under $800 (a lot under if possible, $800 is the absolute maximum i will pay).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.