EF starting difficulties? fuel? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2004, 01:32   #1 (permalink)

EF starting difficulties? fuel?

Today i was parked at KFC. i got back in the car and tried to start it... it just turned over.. wouldn't start, probably turned over about 8 times, i turned the ignition off and back on pressed the accelerator and it started perfectly. same thing happened 30 mins ago. only seems to happen when the car has been sitting for more then 20 mins. I'm thinking the fuel filter might be clogged up, can anyone offer me some advice?

thanks!
Bounce Ferret! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2004, 02:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: EF starting difficulties? fuel?

Unfortuanatly this is one of the great Falcon mysteries! Its very common and I have yet to find any kind of conclusive evidence on what causes it.

Mine did it, and I solved it by installing a stand alone aftermarket computer....
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:43   #3 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Purge canister/solenoid? Does it do it in the morning/cold weather? Or only on hot days?

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 22:29   #4 (permalink)

umm.. well i've had the car for about 1 month now. only has done it twice.. both times were yesterday, just started it then, started fine... seemed a little hard to turn over but it always does that

I can't even see the fuel filter so don't know about my chances of chaning it

AU XR6 VCT, Redback cat-back exhaust, T-series Xr8 snorkel...... that is all!
Bounce Ferret! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 03:48   #5 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

I was thinking hot day = fuel expansion = pressure in the tank. Can cause issues if it doesn't vent properly. Obviously it's much less of an issue on the electric fuel pump systems, but it does still happen from time to time.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 20:45   #6 (permalink)

I had the same problem in my car, 97 futura. I have a feeling it was the fuel pump. And as mine just died on friday night, I have JUST finnished putting in the new unit. It starts alot better, revs alot more freely and it started first time after having taken it for a drive.

So I could sum it up by saying it could be the pump!!

Cheers
Matt
Old 05-09-2004, 03:58   #7 (permalink)

Hi, sounds like a flooding problem, possibly injectors. the ford eec system goes into flood mode when the pedal is held all the way down and the engine turned over, at this time, no fuel is injected into the cylinders, on the other hand if you crank over a fuel injected engine and pump the pedal, you will flood the motor.
So if your injectors were dribbling fuel when the engine was shut off, holding down the pedal while starting would pump only air in till the mixture in the cyls leaned out enough to fire, flooding in a fuel injected engine can easily destroy sparkplugs, and they may have to be replaced.
Other possibilities could be a wrong coolant temp sensor reading, it should still read around 1.2volts to .7volts after a hot 20minute rest.
Back to the injectors, besides the fact that they might be leaking due to a deposit buildup, the driver inside the processor which controlls them might be malfuntioning, causing it to stay open, not to common though.
I would recommend having the injectors removed and bench tested for flow and leakage, this will tell you if thats the problem, and even if it isnt, it doesnt hurt to get the injectors properly cleaned as regular maintenance.
every injector has a filter that will be replaced at the time of cleaning, and from the ones i've done, a improvement in flow is always noticed after a cleaning.
drof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 06:01   #8 (permalink)
Safety Commitee Tim

had a similar problem, it was the ignition control module ... $500 worth. hope it's not anything like that.

XR8 MUMBO HERE
EF_Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech