EF Wiper problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2002, 05:42   #1 (permalink)

roll EF Wiper problem

I have an EF Futura in not so sunny Norway, recently brought over from Darwin. Since I've got it here I have been having a problem with the wipers, they won't stop from operating in Intermitent mode, and even then they operate randomly when certain other electrics are operated, ie: rear demister, brake lights.

A friend from Qld is sending a new BCM, which is where I "Think" the problem lies, though no certainty on this. Have also checked for shorts. None found.

Initially I thought that this may have been caused by low power (drain), as the engine was very hard to crank with -15 deg C, and therefore dragging down on the battery. Have the largest battery I could get when I was back in OZ, and found that it is larger than anything I can get over here, that will fit in the space available.

Has anyone else heard of this problem?
Darren.Parish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2002, 05:45   #2 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Welcome aboard Darren! I've moved this thread to the Garage for maximum help for you mate :s4
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 00:48   #3 (permalink)

EF - Wipers to Smart Locks

Well, the wipers are fixed, thanks to a new BCM. Now the bloody Smart Lock system (Engine Imobilizer and Keyless Entry) doesn't work. Have done the work-around as described in the Ford Manual, so Ican still drive the old girl. But is a pain to not be able to use the remote lock and also to know that the engine imobilizer is not doing what it should be.

Anyone know how to reset the smart lock system without visiting your local ford dealer. I have a small problem in that my EF is the only one in Norway, and all I get is funny looks.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:41   #4 (permalink)

Yep, this one I can handle

Here is an extract from the workshop manual !

If you have replaced the BEM, or new keypads are being added to the system, you will need to train the keypad codes to the module.

Proceedure
1) The ignition switch should be in the off position
2) Turn the ignition key to the ACCESSORY position, and within 5 seconds, operate the rear demister switch exactly three times
3) After the five seconds is up, the door locks will change state to indicate that the BEM has entered learn mode. All existing keypad codes are immediately erased.
4) Press either of the buttons on the keypad. The door locks will change state twice to indicate the BEM has learnt the keypad.
5) Follow step 4) for each keypad that is to be programmed. Up to a maximum of four keypads can be trained.
6) Once all the keypads have been added to the BEM, turn the ignition switch to the off position to leave the BEM learn mode.
7) Check that all the keypads work. If they dont, then swear profusely, and try all above steps again !

I hope this helps !
If it doesnt, then P.M. me, and I will try my best to help you through it !

Cheers
Matt
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 03:30   #5 (permalink)

EF Smart lock that isn't so smart

Thanks for the input Xyphoid, though the old girl didn't like the medicien. Didn't do a bloddy thing in fact.

When I put in the new BCM or BEM, the engine wouldn't start (starter wouldn't do anything) so I followed the Ford emergency fix if the smart lock system plays up, which is leave the ignition in the ON position for 30 minutes, then start. This worked fine and I feel as though I am driving around on borrowed time. Waiting for it to kick in again.

Anyway, I am thinking I could put back the old BCM and see if the lock problem disapears, though I will no doubt reintroduce the wiper problem I had.

So, if you know of any other ideas I can try, please advise. I am thinking it needs for Ford to plug in their overpriced computer to reset something, though I will need to contact Ford OZ to find out whether any of the european fords use the same system as our unique EF's.
Old 03-19-2002, 18:35   #6 (permalink)

Hmmmmmm very freaky !!!!
I know the 30 minute key on trick should actually reprogram the smartlock, so you shouldn't have ANY problems with starting the beast ever again.

As for the Keypads not working ?
The thing did absolutely nothing ???? Strange ????

Ok here are some things to try.
1) Does the central locking still work (IE. locking/Unlocking all doors with the key) ???
2) Does the interior lights come on (The interior lights use the same fuse as the BEM/Smartlock module, so if they arent working, then the remote keypad section of smartlock will not work !)
3) Does the Rear window demister work (Maybe the switch is stuffed, or unplugged - very unlikely though).

Just a little background info on smartlock for ya.
Smartlock has 2 seperate sections,
1) Ignition and Starter Disable
2) Remote door and boot release section (Keypads).
Although both sections reside within the same module, they are in fact 2 completely different sections, and are not connected together in any way.
That means that if the car is starting up, and running then this section is fine, and thankfully you should no longer have any problems with it.
As for the Keyless entry, this also draws power and ground from different wires to the ignition cut out section. So in theory, there could be a problem with one of these lines.

Anyway, the main thing I would check is the Interior/Courtesy lamps fuse, as most of the car will function without it, with exception to the smartlock keyless entry, and courtesy lamps.

Hope this helps, and keep me informed !
Cheers
Matt
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech