Ef Xr Questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2002, 02:33   #1 (permalink)

Ef Xr Questions

I got a price today from Crow Cams for a new cam for my EF XR6.
It was about $390 , The lady said that using the standard computer and exhaust it would boost it to about 120 kw at the wheels. Would this be true ? I guess the only way would be to to a dyno b4 and after ! However this could be a costly mod if it is not that much of an increase. Call me naive but i will probably do it without the results becasue modding the car is too much fun. What are your experiences with cams for xr6's

Also Mick Webb SVO said he would fit it for $100 , was he being serious ? i thought it would be more labour then that. However my mate said something bout it being an overhead cam and not to difficult. Anyway thanks your opinions are welcomed.
MelbXR6EF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2002, 05:40   #2 (permalink)
removed as previously discussed!

fitting a cam isnt difficult no.

and 120kw isnt always the exact reading, its roughly from 105-118 usually.

crowcams isnt always the way to go, there's a lot of other brand of cams to go for as well..

crowcam
tritronic
wade
y-terra etc
Old 12-04-2002, 08:20   #3 (permalink)

MelbXR6EF, when you do your cam think about new lifters too. I just put some after market ones in and it got rid of a lot of noise. They are 20 thou longer than standard ones. As soon as the new cam went in some of the old lifters started collapsing and they were only 10,000 kms old.
Kev.
Kevs EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 14:27   #4 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Yep, $100 sounds about right. It should only take about an hour or two to put the cam in.
You might want to consider using a variable cam gear to help with the fine tuning.

IMO, 120 at the rears should be a relatively easy mark to hit with an EF XR, provided the exhaust is set up nicely.

As for the shims. From what I have heard, its sometimes the luck of the draw. Some people have lifter noise problems, others don't. I think it might be worth it just to pop in some small shims just in case, or better still, use the lifters Kev mentioned.

Good Luck
Old 12-04-2002, 15:28   #5 (permalink)
removed as previously discussed!

you can also get a mock cam to .. forgot about them (Jim Mock)

most cames require 1 shim in each lifter, and as basscrazy said its the lucky of the draw.. sometimes the lifters are fine, othercases you have to replace them.
Old 12-04-2002, 20:01   #6 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

I thought you usually only needed a shim on a reground cam, as they take material out of the base circle to get the extra lift.
A XR6 cam is also a relatively cheap upgrade equivalent to a Stage II, II1/2 Crow cam, with better durability. The XR cam has higher lift and longer duration than a standard EF/EL cam, but it is designed to work with a larger exhaust valve.
On the topic of higher lift, think about upgrading your valve springs if you go for a high lift cam, as the regular springs may not be up to the job after a few trips to 5000 rpm. Standard XR6 springs are a worthwhile upgrade for durability (I think mock uses other springs when he puts his high lift cam in, so check them out oo).

Cheers,

jt
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech