Ford Forums banner

EFII Identification?

6K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  littledragon 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I was just wondering if anyone knows, which month in 95 did the EFII come out? I'm looking at buying a car that is marked 8/95, but i'm not sure if it is an EF or EFII
Thanks,

#3 ·
According to Red Book, EF II was released in October of 1995.

Only the Fairmont Ghia was equipped with the passenger airbag, and it was optional on lesser models. From memory, the base GLi got more conventional wheel covers, and the Ghia got a whole range of updates like Tickford motor, lowered suspension, gold 4.0i side 'badging', black b pillar and so forth.

#6 ·
From memory... Series II and series was mainly interior changes.. I noticed my mates EF2 01/96 model was different in two areas..

1. The ashtray was alot easier to use.. Pretty hard to explain.. but it wasn't concealed like on series 1.
2. The petrol flap/boot release buttons were recessed to prevent accidental opening (like you do on EF S1).

I also read something in wheels mag which stated the changes... 2 being the above mentioned ones.

Funny thing is my old man bought a EF series 2 (apparently) build date 9/95... Pickles sold it to him saying it was a S2 but I'll put money on it that it's a S1 because out of all the series 2 i have been in, they have had these changes to the dash area. My old mans hasn't. Another noticeable difference is in the door trim material on GLi's.. S1 had a pattern on the fabric.. S2 had plain material.
Rear suspension was tweaked to prevent unexcpected over steer. If I find the Wheels mag I'll let you know exactly.. I'm more of a XW man incase you haven't noticed :p

Correct me if I'm wrong :s5

#7 ·
XWJG34 said:
Rear suspension was tweaked to prevent unexcpected over steer. If I find the Wheels mag I'll let you know exactly.. I'm more of a XW man incase you haven't noticed :p

Correct me if I'm wrong :s5
Yeap i've heard that the watts linkage mounting point on the diff was dropped by an inch to dialout excessive rollover by the rear suspension. I've heard that the EF Series 1 sedans had abit of a wild handling trait with rear traction problems.

Overall the EFII's interior had everything sitting nice and flush between the plastics. Just take a look at the glove box on the series II sits flush compared to the Series 1.
And yes the ashtray on the Series 1 was crap house i had to rebuild mine with super glue as it almost fell apart.
EFII also gained sound deadening at the firewall at the engine bay.

Also Polynesian Green was replaced with Heritage Green on the EFII.

#9 ·
Easy way to tell is the already mentioned astray, the EF I looks much better but is a pain in the ass to close, EF II has opening door and cig lighter on display like EL's.
The other easy giveaway is the passenger mirror, EFI is flat, EFII is the 'Objects in The Rear View Mirror' concave job.

and XR Strider is right, the Watts link mounting was changed, iirc they simply used the XR diff plate.

Kieron

#10 ·
Tim_EF_5.0 said:

My May 95 EF1 Fairmont is Heritage green.
Yeap your right, sounds like Ford released Polynesian Green paint in the early EF1 to finish the stock of paint from the EBII, ED's.

#11 ·
Kieron said:
The other easy giveaway is the passenger mirror, EFI is flat, EFII is the 'Objects in The Rear View Mirror' concave job.
Kieron
Err what happens if you have the EF1 ashtray with a EF2 mirror then???? Crikey I think I have a EFseries 1 1/2 LOL

#13 ·
Err what happens if you have the EF1 ashtray with a EF2 mirror then???? Crikey I think I have a EFseries 1 1/2 LOL
You might be onto something there T3man :s6:
I bought the car, it was a great deal weather it was an EF 1 or EF 2, its build date is 8/95, and is marked an EF1, but it has some of the characteristics of the EF2. Perhaps some of the changes and parts used in the EF2 started towards the end of the production run of the 1 or something?

#14 ·
Just to add more mystery to this story... My EF also came with Series 2 hubcaps... they didn't look like they have been replaced ever (they were pretty battered and consistently so eg gutter side were battered, drivers side were ok). Maybe a Pickles Auctions Identity Change™ to make more money :dead:

#18 ·
EFfutura said:
What is ment by the "harder to open ashtray"? Mine is a simple case of push and it opens, Is this the hard version or the easy EF2 version?
Hehe Firstly being a previous EF owner and still having one in our house hold i love talking about EF's. :s2:

Ok heres the deal about the ash tray.

The Series one had an ash tray that tookup the whole width of the bottom centre console so hence the cigga lighter was inside the ash tray. It required a harder push and sometimes it wouldn't open. As well as that the whole mechanism is crap, ie it would not sit flush to the console, it rattled like buggery and had heaps of bits.
The series II had the EL style ashtray where by the ash tray has a lid that flips down with a much simpler mechanism, also the cigger light was visible with the ash tray closed as the ash tray was like 3/4 the size.

Alot of series 1 EF's had the later ash tray assy as most of the series 1 setup fell apart and was covered under warrenty. I decided to soldier on with mine (completely rebuilt it and fixed it with super glue etc). :p :p

Oh yeah my EF has the passenger side convex mirror too that i fitted. :s5

#19 ·
I see said the blind man...
I have a 8/95 futura with EF2 ashtray, Convex mirror, Heratage green paint. Cant tell if the brake light has "ABS" on it as it has a sticker over the top and only the drivers airbag. Maybe an EF1 3\4 then.
Another silly question, The B pillar, Is this the one between the doors or the back windscreen pillar????

Thanks

#20 ·
EFfutura said:
Another silly question, The B pillar, Is this the one between the doors or the back windscreen pillar????
You've got the windscreen (A) pillars, the B pillar between front and rear doors, the C pillar behind the rear doors, and wagons have a D pillar down the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.