EGR question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2002, 18:57   #1 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

EGR question

I have an EFI XF fun car (not for road use) that I have recently been trying to get running.

I was wondering how important the EGR is to the running of the car. The one on the car ATM is dead, so I have blocked it off.

The problem being the car starts, but then dies straight away. Would the EGR be causing this? Is the EGR necessary or is there a way to disable the need of it through the computer???

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2002, 19:08   #2 (permalink)
Cobra188

It won't be the EGR - it is not needed by the computer to run your motor - it is activated by the computer under certain drive conditions to minimise exhaust emissions. If it isn't connected it won't matter at all for off-road usage.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:34   #3 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

from memory (very very shady) the XD-F falcons had a EFI system that somehow worked off the vacuume of the entire motor. someone once told me that if you had one running and you took off the oil cap it would stall, i didnt believe me so he did it and it stalled. they also apparently had special dipsticks that had a seal on them to stop air leaking in (out?)

check all vacuume hose fittings, air leaks from oil cap, dipstick, etc if your motor has this type of EFI

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 16:29   #4 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

Hey Rollin,

I've owned my XF Fairmont Ghia EFI since 1994, and I have never seen the thing stall or even falter in the slightest after removal of the oil cap. I can watch my rockers at work through the oil filler hole and the engine doesn't miss a beat.

This would be because I have a vacuum leak somewhere and the computer is compensating for it, thereby reducing my all round performance. Add to this the fact that I can hear a very obvious hissing noise coming from around the EGR valve region, where there are a lot of vacuum hoses and valves and stuff. I've sprayed WD40 all over the area to try and find the leak, but to no avail. I've jiggled and prodded, you name it. If I take off some of the hoses the engine stops, but if I do it slowly, so it has time to adjust before the hose is all the way off, it can keep running.

Anyone have any advice on this? The engine's been rebuilt in 1999, so it's not a major thing like manifold gasket, also the EGR valve has been replaced before. I'd love to sort this one out.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2002, 21:58   #5 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

BRING_BACK_XF - Try using soapy water instead, blows better bubbles :) Where the EGR valve connects to the plenum is a prime place for a vacuum leak. If you cant find the leak all you can do is fix things one at a time until the hissing stops.

AusXH - It may be stalling because of the fuel system. The pump may be able to pressurise the rail but cant keep up once the injectors start opening. You can test the pump by disconnecting the fuel filter and holding a beaker under the line, but you really need a fuel pressure gauge (if your lucky a mechanic might lend you one) because the pump might appear fine under no load but it may not be able to work under pressure.
Dreders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 22:06   #6 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

Check the air flow meter too. The doors in them jam up. It would have to be a fairly big vacuum leak to make it stall which would be easy to find.

Rollin, They use a jetronic?? system i think. It was fairly primitive to what we have today but it was all computer controlled.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 22:25   #7 (permalink)