Ford Forums banner

EGR Spacer hoses

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ebxr8240 
#1 ·
After troubleshooting a code 34 on my Sprint (EVP voltage above closed limit) I found no fault with the EGR valve or the EVP sensor. I decided to check the 2 hoses at the back of the EGR spacer and to my amazement they were both hanging free.

Now unfortunately the Ford manuals dont give decent diagrams on the routing of these hoses and its a bit tight to visually track down were they plug in. To further confuse the issue I read that the stock engines flow coolant through these hoses but the US Cobra uses them for vacuum (albeit that intake has an integral EGR system).

Can anyone shed some light on their connection points? Perhaps thois may explain why I am getting some detonation under full throttle even with 98ron fuel.

#2 ·
Kon,

I had to change both hoses recently - and after putting on the new manifold, actually did a bypass of the EGR spacer.
I dont know the name of the part where they plug into - but I can point it out.

oh - and its a pain in the ass to do cos its really akward to reach.

#3 ·
When I put the Cobra inlet on mine I had to join the lines together for the Cobra's DON'T Cool or heat or have water running through it's inlet/egr.I would say you have the std hoses still there from factory as in non Sprint.. Hope this helps Kon...

#5 ·
Wulos:: Thats for an H.O or std motor, Kons has Sprint/Cobra
192kw engine.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I spent some time looking at it today and realised what had been done. The 2 hoses are to route coolant through the spacer. Someone had disconnected the hoses and run a new hose to bypass the EGR spacer from the coolant system.

#7 ·
Ok now I'm a little confused. I though the coolant was fed through the EGR to warm up the air for emission control.

How is done with vacuum?

If ya bypass the EGR doesn't that make it illegal?

After looking at that pic of the vacuum connected has confused the **** out of me. What does that achieve?

#8 ·
LTDHO said:
Ok now I'm a little confused. I though the coolant was fed through the EGR to warm up the air for emission control.

How is done with vacuum?

If ya bypass the EGR doesn't that make it illegal?

After looking at that pic of the vacuum connected has confused the **** out of me. What does that achieve?
Thats not vacuum, that pic is of the water hose connections. They wont give an error if they're not connected. Also AU's dont have EGR.

#10 ·
I think in most cases it's to keep it cool.Exhaust would heat up quicker than coolant?The exhaust gases would be quite hot. In some inlets tho it is not required OR it's done from inside manifold not external..No the eec wouldn't know if the water hoses are connected.But this has come up on other tech boards if you disc the egr the eec will know ,another issue.
Infact if the egr is playing up it makes engine run strange like backfiring through inlet when cold etc..It was open when should have been closed..

Not sure but I think on explorer or latter model V8's the egr is done in another way? Internal??? Pete in Perth come in here...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.