Ford Forums banner

EL 4.0 into EA (a bit long)

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Bass Crazy 
#1 ·
I currently have an EAII 3.9l CFI on dual fuel. The engine has done 225000k and although its not tired, the car isnt as quick as id like it. My plan of attack is to

Install a worked EL 4.0L engine, and run the car on straight LPG through a GRA(gas research australia) gas system.

Now, im wondering if anyone knows of any problems with installing and EL engine into an EA. I beleive the block is the same (ill use the EA ancileries A/C etc). But, will the engine mounts mate up, and will the engine work with the origional 4speed?

can you see any other problems with the conversion?

Help guys

cheers

#2 ·
why do you want to use an el motor? why not just get one from an EB - ED and work it? I just put an ED motor into an EA and conversion was no worries. Only thing i had to change was a pulley on the alternator because all the pulleys didnt line up.

im not sure about the mounts on el, but my guess is that they would be the same. but i reckon id just use an EB-ED, for starters they are cheaper (and if youre going to work it then who cares if its got a few extra miles cos you replace most stuff that matters) and you know they will fit.

let me know how you go though if you keep going with the EL idea, im keen to know if its the same.

#3 ·
EL

i was going to use an EL as it allready has 157kw, and if im going to work an engine, why not start off with something more powerful to begin with. Also the EL engine has the dual runner manafold, and a 12counterweight crankshaft.

appart from this i think the engines are pretty similar. I dont know about compression and such but yeah.

#4 ·
There is an excellent article on True Blue Ford I think, about a couple of EAs - one with an AU six, and the other with an EL V8. It's definitely worthwhile reading.

#6 ·
I Think the most trouble will come from the wiring loom..... whether you use an EL one or stick with the EA one...

From owning a EA with CFI then an EF myself i couldnt see you moding the EA loom to suit the sensors of the EL motor... But im not by any means an expert with auto electrics so it may well be possible....

Just my 2c .... :)

#10 ·
yeah the dual runner is the "computer torque control"

that should be easly activated with a relay........

but im wondering if the EL engine has different sensors, extra MAF, o2 etc?

if it doesnt i dont see why the EA MPFI system cant be hooked up to the EL engine. Also because im going to run straight LPG, wiring and sensors may be less of a problem.

#12 ·
I thought that the EA had different engine mounts to the eb/ed/ef/el.

Sounds like it would be a very hard job to do, consequently very costly. Would you do most the work yourself?

I guess it shouldn't be too hard if you could source the entire wiring loom/computer and install it in when no engine is in there.

Another thing you might need to think about is the smartlock. Could be quite tricky working around it.

Let us know how you get along.

Cheers
Matt

#13 ·
There are no extra sensors on the EL manifold, besides the TPS, there all interchangable. The EA wire loom can be modified to fit the EL manifold. The EA ECU will run the engine no worries, so don't change it.

I'm 90% sure the mounts are the same, but it might be worth you poping dont to a wrecker and doing some measuring to make sure for your self.

If you have the oppertunity, grab an AU head for the engine, there are extra grunt gains to be had.

Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.