El a/c fault - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2006, 23:17   #1 (permalink)

El a/c fault

Can someone walk me through the manner of clutch operation on the a/c pump on an el wagon , it doesn't pull in and there doesn't seem to be any voltage being applied so how and where do I test things like the low preassure switch etc , Gregory's isnt much help
Tnx in advance
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 01:52   #2 (permalink)

Re: El a/c fault

The low pressure switch is usually inline with the clutch wire.Track it down,i'm not sure exactly where it is on EF but it should have power one side of switch or you could link the switch wires together and see if clutch cuts in.Hope that helps a bit.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:19   #3 (permalink)

Pressure cut out switch is mounted on the TX valve, next to the washer bottle. It is a hi and low pressure switch. If you have no gas in the system, the switch will cut the power supply to the compressor. Unplug and bridge the 2 wires then check for power to the compressor. The ECU controls the power to the pressure switch depending on things like evaporator temp etc. My guess is the system has lost its gas. On an EL there are a few common spots that leak, condensor, TX valve o rings, evaporator and even the comprressor front seal. At work I use nitrogen to pressure check A/C systems, works well.
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 22:05   #4 (permalink)

Wink Re: El a/c fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
Pressure cut out switch is mounted on the TX valve, next to the washer bottle. It is a hi and low pressure switch. If you have no gas in the system, the switch will cut the power supply to the compressor. Unplug and bridge the 2 wires then check for power to the compressor. The ECU controls the power to the pressure switch depending on things like evaporator temp etc. My guess is the system has lost its gas. On an EL there are a few common spots that leak, condensor, TX valve o rings, evaporator and even the comprressor front seal. At work I use nitrogen to pressure check A/C systems, works well.
Ok thanks will check in the morning as I had to drive across Brisbane to day and damn it was HOT and humid , if Im going to get that uncomfortable I would rather be doing somthing I like :)
Old 02-15-2006, 23:08   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Ok thanks will check in the morning as I had to drive across Brisbane to day and damn it was HOT and humid , if Im going to get that uncomfortable I would rather be doing somthing I like :)
Made time and looked , early, no voltage on either the green black or blue wire on the preasure switch.... electrical diagram in Gregorys sux , either way its got voltage on the fuses so suggestions please ? ( no I wont burn it)
Old 02-16-2006, 02:12   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Made time and looked , early, no voltage on either the green black or blue wire on the preasure switch.... electrical diagram in Gregorys sux , either way its got voltage on the fuses so suggestions please ? ( no I wont burn it)
disconnect battery and check those individual wires with multimeter for continuity i.e. make sure they're not broke. Can be painful but may save trip to auto elec.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 16:38   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by northey
disconnect battery and check those individual wires with multimeter for continuity i.e. make sure they're not broke. Can be painful but may save trip to auto elec.
I dont believe the wires are a problem , I do wonder about the manner of temp sense in the cab , is it in series or // as in series if blown nothing would work ( now I have to pull stuff out I guess ?)
Old 02-20-2006, 21:03   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I dont believe the wires are a problem , I do wonder about the manner of temp sense in the cab , is it in series or // as in series if blown nothing would work ( now I have to pull stuff out I guess ?)
turned out that the cab temp sensor looks bad , will be replaceing asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech