EL Climate control project - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2002, 18:29   #1 (permalink)
KING of KEBABS

EL Climate control project

can anybody help me with information on parts i may need to install auto climate control into a EL2 Xr8 ?
XR8beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2002, 00:25   #2 (permalink)

Its a very big job, we are gonna give it a go this week (Starting tommorow).

Basically, the Cliamte control uses the same airbox system, but has bolt on actuators (Electronic vacume control, Motorised Heater Blend door Module, and an Electronic Fan speed controller).

All these are mounted on the standard airbox.

Then you will need the Climate control computer, (The Button switches, and display part).

Once you get all these together, the WHOLE dash needs to come out. (and I am not just talking Instruments here !!!!!!)

Basically all you wanna see is the steering column, Pedal Box, transmission shifter, Firewall, and airbox.

You will also need to make up your own wiring loom, or source one from a Fairmont Model (Changing looms will mean that you will have to mod it to work with your existing BEM, or use a Fairmont BEM. (Which will mean further changes will need to be made..........)

Finally, you will need 2 extra sensors, the Sunload Sensor, located in the middle of the top dash crash pad, (It has a white Bubble type thing), and the Front ambient temperature sensor.

As I said previously, We are going to attempt this mod on a EF Futura, making our own wiring Loom.
The doco should be up sometime next week, so If you wanna hold off a little, this doco will give you some ideas of what needs to be done

Cheers
Matti
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 01:01   #3 (permalink)
KING of KEBABS

thanx Xyphoid i,ll wait till i source the parts from a wrecker ,and goodluck !
XR8beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 16:39   #4 (permalink)

Ok, here is the latest update on this,

I have all the parts in front of me, ready to go in.
Our biggest problem at them moment is the doner car has a rats nest of aftermarket wiring. (Was an Ex chaser, and Whole Looms seem to be cut, moved, missing, etc).
Normally, this wouldnt cause any strife, as I would have to make a New Loom/Connector, to wire up the Airbox bits, to the controller, with power/Illumination, But the above is proving a real pain in the Butt, in terms of removing the Dash, to get to the original Airbox.

Also, something to note, to get to the Airbox, the Dash has to come out, and to do that, the Steering Column also has to come out. (There are roughly 12 Bolts to do this).

Anyway, apart from that, what you will need,
1) Heater Blend Door Control Motor - (Used to move a little flap, to allow Heater, or AirCon Cooled Air through). This Bolts on top of any Airbox, and replaces the Heater Control Rod thingie

2) Vacume Control Solenoids - (The Control Module has no Vacume connectors, this little gizmo simply plugs up to the existing Airbox Vacume Hoses, and has a plug coming off it, which goes to the Controller

3) The Electronic Speed Controller - (This is basically a Transistor, that gets the Required fan speed from the controller, and replaces the set of Resistors on the switch, for the standard Fan control.

4) Sunload Sensor - Basically a photo diode. I dont know exactly the type or specs of it, but can be bought from Ford for roughly $70. This thing is mounted on the Crash pad, and has a white cap over it.

5) Ambient Temp sensor - Again, not 100% sure of the specs of this, but can be bought from Ford for roughly less than $100. It is located just below the Front Airbag Crash sensor, and if you have ABS fitted, then the Electrical connector will be already available for you. (But will not be run inside the Cabin !)

<HR>

Anyway, it is a bit of a big job, but at least you can keep your original Airbox, (The Electronic Gizmo's all plug in, and Bolt On).
Which means that you do not have to re-gas your Aircon, or drain the coolant.

The Most fun part would be wiring the Controller, to the Sensors, and controllers

As for removing the Dash part, there is no Easy way around this, and MUST be done. (We spent Half a day trying to remove as many bits, without actually removing the Whole Dash, and could only get enuf access, to fit the Fan speed controller, and ONLY JUuuuuuuust the Vacume Solenoid thingie.

Ill keep you posted though, as we may try again next week, with 1 more person assisting in removing the Dash.

Matti
Old 11-14-2002, 20:09   #5 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Matti,

I removed the dash/heater box and put it all back together by myself on the EF (was replacing stuffed evaporator), biggest problem was removing the heater hoses under the bonnet.

You don't need to remove the steering column, I removed the wheel and lowered the column, (just have to be careful of it dropping to low) and just lifted the whole dash out the passenger door.

I'd reckon the complete conversion could be done well inside a day including beer breaks if the heater box doesn't have to come off.

Only stuffed up one thing, that was to reconnect the airbag wire behind the fuse box, probably worth tagging all the connectors just in case.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 01:23   #6 (permalink)

Dammmmmm !!!!
Thats a very very good point !

Thankyou for the Advice Kieron !!!!!

What you said actually makes sense now that I think about it..

I might have to give it another try again soon, and see if we can get any further !

Cheers, and thanks for the help !
Matti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech