el fairmont 6 cooling dramas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2002, 00:00   #1 (permalink)

el fairmont 6 cooling dramas

ok this is my first post after selling my turbo skyline and buying a "family car!"

anyways, whenever i run the car for longer than out the driveway and back and she gets up to normal operating temp when i turn the car off a lot of water makes it's way past the overflow cap (radiator cap) and out the line to the ground. i know this is normal but after a week or so the dash light lights up for low radiator level and i pour usually nearly 2 litres of coolant in.. went to a radiator place he sugested flushing and replacing the therostat.. so

i today flushed the system (via heater hose, heater on) and filled it up with 50% anti freeze/boil 50% water, replaced the thermostat and gasket with a new one from ford (not: there is no little hole in this one but there was on the old one that came out) *shrugs* so driving to work today (34 degrees ambient temp) and the temp guage keeps climbing up to the 'o' in normal (just over 3/4 of the guage) i havnt seen it go this high before (is this ok) it was doing 110 on the freeway.

anyhoo when i parked at work there was the familier smell of coolan leaking to the ground, i just igured i must have topped it up too much, was at work for an hour and went out again for a short (5km) trip and then stpped purging water again.. i replaced the radiator cap about a week ago..

sorry about the long post, but the two questions i am after answers for are
1. is it normal for the motor to run this hot on a hot 34 degree c day?
2. why is the cooling system pissing out water when the car is turned off?

thanks guys in advance.

cam
cam540@optusnet.com.au
fairel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2002, 02:43   #2 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

Thats not normal....have radiator flushed professionally.
Refer below thread;

http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...threadid=27930

hot_eb
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 19:43   #3 (permalink)

Dude, i know it mite hurt and u probably feel it too, u should have kept the Skyline, i know this because i went from a bronco to an Na Fairlane ( Broncos still now $12000-17000) ( Na Fairlanes now $2.00) But hey thats life, as to your problem ill bet its the Head Gasket starting to go, speaking through experience with the NA, God what a damn slug (sometimes i think im being punished for selling my Mach 1 Mustang)
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech