EL Fairmont Ghia Pinstripe TROUBLE - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2003, 01:31   #1 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

EL Fairmont Ghia Pinstripe TROUBLE

I removed my pin striping today. I was not sure whether I was going to leave the car without the pin stripes or to put nice new fine black ones on. Any way, as I got to the front quarter panel, I realised that the pinstripes were not on the outside, but covered by a thin transparent film, like it's been sprayed over with some kind of coating. Seemingly the whole panel is covered in this. At first I thought it was the result of a respray but both front quarter panels suffer from this. Now I have all pinstripes removed except for this geeky strip along both front panels. I tried to remove the coating to get to the stripes on a small section near the door, it is possible but then you are left with a section along the panel where the outer coating has been cut and I think it would look horrible. I've seen EL Fairmont Ghias with pin striping removed. How did others tackle this problem? Do you think that it will be easily buffed into insignificance? A cut and polish perhaps? I still think that the edges of the outer layer will remain visible. I'm stuffed, I can't leave the thing how it is and I certainly don't want my front panels looking like some form of surgery has occurred. I may have to decide to put the new black stripes on to cover the mess but still it will not completely hide the affected area.

What is this coating? Why it is only on the front two panels (car has not been in an accident to my knowledge) and how do you suggest I proceed from here?
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2003, 03:20   #2 (permalink)
Dreamer

That would be clear coat im assuming. Maybe the previous owner had the paint 'cut' and then had a flow coat over the front of vehicle. Also possible is the bonnet was resprayed and they need to blend the sides into the bonnet, hence a clear coat application.

Remove the strips (dont put any back on, they look silly IMO) take it to your favoured panel shop, and have them 'cut' that section, and then flow on a coat of clear, will look good as new.
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 03:53   #3 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Quote:
Originally posted by South
That would be clear coat im assuming. Maybe the previous owner had the paint 'cut' and then had a flow coat over the front of vehicle. Also possible is the bonnet was resprayed and they need to blend the sides into the bonnet, hence a clear coat application.

Remove the strips (dont put any back on, they look silly IMO) take it to your favoured panel shop, and have them 'cut' that section, and then flow on a coat of clear, will look good as new.
What do you mean "cut" that section? So I should take the stripes off and get a panel shop to spray this clear coat on? What is this clear coat?????? Do they buff it back and just coat that section or do they need to do the whole panel? How much would this cost?
Old 06-08-2003, 03:55   #4 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Quote:
Originally posted by J__Peter
Hi

The EL Ghia looks fine with pinstripes, you shouldn't have removed them, now you have this problem. They really do suit the pinstripes, it finnishes the car off nicely.

Kind regards

James
Mate, the pin stripes were faded and coming off in parts, they detracted from the look of the car :s5
Old 06-08-2003, 04:44   #5 (permalink)
Dreamer

S true 'cut' means to sand back the top layer, being clear coat, there is no colour to it. It removes most blemishes, being water marks, bug staines, some stone chips (if not really deep) etc etc.

Once the top layer has been cut, the painter will respray it with clear coat and it will look good as new. Most 90s cars have a clear coat on them, and yours being the colour it is will definately have one, hence the reason is shines so beautifully and looks very deep in colour.

Get some quote, see what ya come up with.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:09   #6 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Damn, this sounds like a pain in the bum. The rest of the car is finished nicely without this layer. I'll see what I come up with. Thanks for your help South :s5:
Old 06-08-2003, 05:57   #7 (permalink)
Dreamer

No worries... btw the whole car is clear coated, it may just have been the front got a clean up prior to sale or seomthing... anyhow good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech