EL Futura - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

General Tech Have a question that is not covered by one of the other categories? This is the forum for all other items not specifically covered in other categories.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2002, 07:14   #1 (permalink)

EL Futura

Hey the clock in my futura has stuffed up. The numbers are all jumbled and stuff, how much for a new one? Can i go to the wreckers and get one?

thanks
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2002, 08:03   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Is this part of a trip computer or a seperate clock. I found on my NB Fairlane when the trip computer clock display went I was able to fix it by dismantling it and packing some thin cardboard in the part that is at right angles to the display so the circuit made correct contact with the display again.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:44   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussiblue
Is this part of a trip computer or a seperate clock. I found on my NB Fairlane when the trip computer clock display went I was able to fix it by dismantling it and packing some thin cardboard in the part that is at right angles to the display so the circuit made correct contact with the display again.
ah ok i might try that maybe it will work. But there is part of numbers lightingup but the clock just doesnt display numbers. For example if its desplaying 4:44, it might deplay 1:11 instead. So i dunno if the carboard thing would work. Its just a seaperate clock.
thanks
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 19:30   #4 (permalink)

What AussieBlue is trying to explain is that the LCD segments are electrically connected to the clock circuit board by 2 carbon/rubber contacts.
Much like the problems that ppl have with the Nokia's, if there is not sufficient pressure to hold these contacts FIRMLY on to the Board, then parts of the LCD Display mysteriously disapear, causing a garbled display, much like what you have now.

The carboard would help keep some pressure on these rubber contacts, ensuring that there is an electrical connection between the Board and LCD Panel.

Anyway, EF/EL Clocks cost about $100 from wreckers.
A better option might be getting a Trip computer from the Wreckers. (The cost of these range from $150-$250 from wreckers).

As a very minimum, you will need to run at least 1 wire from the Original Clock plug, to the instrument cluster, to get the Trip computer functioning.
You will need a further 2 wires to have the Trip computer buttons, and side lettering to light up at night.

This is a very easy mod, as a friend added a trip computer to an EF Ex Chaser running LPG, and the thing works perfectly !

Anyway, just some idea's of what U could try !

Cheers
Matt
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > General Tech