Ford Forums banner

EL Hot Fuel Tank

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  botch 
#1 ·
How hot does your fuel tank run ? After a long run from the mountains towing our ski boat I noticed that the fuel tank in our I6 EL wagon was red hot - too hot to touch. I gather this is heat soak from the engine bay as the fuel is circulated by the fuel injection system - 'round the fuel rail and back to the tank. I expected warm but not that hot. Even the towbar and chasis were red hot. Engine temps were normal except when running up steep hills where it climbed up to the top 1/4. Air temp was about 36 degrees.

Pat.

#2 ·
psproule said:
How hot does your fuel tank run ? After a long run from the mountains towing our ski boat I noticed that the fuel tank in our I6 EL wagon was red hot - too hot to touch. I gather this is heat soak from the engine bay as the fuel is circulated by the fuel injection system - 'round the fuel rail and back to the tank. I expected warm but not that hot. Even the towbar and chasis were red hot. Engine temps were normal except when running up steep hills where it climbed up to the top 1/4. Air temp was about 36 degrees.

Pat.
hows your exhaust, its not leaking up front is it?

I carry stuff in my boot all the time, its warm on the exhaust pipe side at the worst. the fuel tank and the rest of the car dont even get warm unless in the sun, but not much. and i've towed a car trailer fully loaded on a 40 degree day up down and around hills.

#5 ·
The exhaust is a cat back 2.5 inch system with a single muffler mounted just forward of the rear axle. It is only about 8 months old but the muffler (a Lukey I think) is looking a little sus around the seams. It doesnt seem to leak though. I checked and the pipe is clear of the tank / body as well.

I will check the towbar mounts, although I am fairly sure it is all secure - it is a good point.

I think from memory I have noticed it getting hot before but it was some time ago. I only noticed it yesterday when I went to get the jockey wheel from the underfloor compartment.

Guess it could also be a failing diff, although there isnt a direct path for heat transfer.

Admitedly I had given it a fairly hard time, cruising 200km at 100kph+ with an 1100kg ski boat, 2 adults and 3 kids and a bunch of luggage.

Time to by an F truck me thinks.

Pat.

#7 ·
could be your cat has shit itself and all the hot lava stuff is blowing back into the muffler system and bLocking it up ????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.